Registration Instructions for Veterans Certification

To be certified for Veterans Benefits programs, follow the University of St Thomas and U. S. Department of Veteran Affairs (USDVA) basic procedures described on these pages.

Step 1

Apply for benefits at

First-time applicants: complete the online form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits)

If you have used benefits previously at another school, complete the online form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). You must complete this form to list St. Thomas as the school of attendance, update the mailing address and confirm bank routing number details.

After the necessary online forms are complete, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA. Please provide a copy of this document to our office (step 2).

Step 2

Provide a copy of your COE/Award letter to the Office of Student Data and Registrar.

New students: After you have registered for your first semester, please send an email to our Veteran's School Certifying Official to request that your enrollment be reported to the VA. Please include your St. Thomas 9-digit ID in the email.

Continuing students: Please provide an updated copy of your COE each academic year. Providing and updated award letter will allow us to apply anticipated funds to your student account prior to receiving payment from the VA. Should the VA pay an amount that differs from our estimate, we will work with the VA to determine why there is a discrepancy. Should it be determined that the VA payment is correct, we will adjust the amount on our account and you will be responsible for any remaining charges.

Any finance charges assessed on the VA portion will be reversed when payment is applied.  If your eligibility is less than 100%, it is recommended that students make payments on their portion as soon as possible to avoid a finance charge.

Step 3

Your enrollment will be reported before the start of each term. The monthly housing allowance is paid directly to the student at the beginning of each month for the previous month.

For students with 100% eligibility rate, the maximum book stipend is $1000 per academic year.  The book stipend pays approximately $41.67 per credit certified up to 24 credits for the academic year.  This is also paid to the student.

After the add/drop period (typically the first 10 days of classes) each veteran's enrollment and actual charges will be reviewed.  We will report any changes to enrollment and net charges to the VA and the St. Thomas Business Office. 

Going forward we will automatically certify your enrollment for each fall and spring term.  

We do not automatically certify enrollment for J-term or summer unless we receive the student’s approval to do so.  Some students do not want to use their benefits for so few credits, while other students need the housing allowance.  If you wish to use your benefits, please send an email certify authorizing your enrollment with the VA.

Eligibility criteria and benefits vary. Veterans’ education benefits must be reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have specific questions about a program that aren't answered on these pages, please contact the USDVA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis toll-free at 1-888-442-4551, or go to their Web site,

Benefit programs

Post 9/11 GI Bill [Chapter 33 information and application]

Undergraduate Yellow Ribbon Program

Graduate Yellow Ribbon Program

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30)

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

DEAP (Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 35)

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

Verify your enrollment

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 recipients: Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the VA at the end of each month before you will receive your payment. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.

Important Notice to eligible MN veterans:
The Minnesota G.I. Bill program was established in 2007 to provide postsecondary educational assistance to eligible MN veterans and service members as well as eligible spouses and children of deceased or severely disabled eligible MN veterans. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per semester and part-time students can receive up to $500 per semester.

To review the entire list of eligibility requirements and to complete the online Minnesota GI Bill Application, please click  here.

If you have questions about the MN GI Bill, please contact the UST Financial Aid Office (651) 962-6550 or the MN Office of Higher Education (651) 259-3955.

Helpful Veteran Resources

Veteran's Certification Office
(Located in the 
Student Data & Registrar's Office)
University of St. Thomas
MHC 126
Mail# 5001  
2115 Summit Ave
St. Paul, MN 55105
651-962-6700 (Phone)

651-962-6710 (fax)

U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA)
St. Paul Regional Office
Phone toll-free: 
St. Louis Regional Processing Office 
Phone toll-free: 
1-888-GI-BILL1 or 

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
20 West 12th Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
Phone: 651-296-2562
Web site:

Veterans Transition Center
Scott Mills 
U.S. Department of Labor 
Veterans Employment and Training 
1st National Bank Building 
332 Minnesota St 
St. Paul, MN 55101 
Transition Assistance

Veterans Resource Office (Duane Bauer)
Higher Education Veterans Programs
State Veterans Service Bldg 
20 W 12th St – 2nd Floor
St Paul, MN 55155
Phone: 651-757-1594

Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs 
30 W. Mifflin Street
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: 608-266-1311 
Phone toll-free from outside the Madison metropolitan area: 1-800-947-8387