Frequently Asked Questions

Business Office

The University uses the eBilling process. For further detailed information:

The eBilling process is accessed through your student's name and identification; your student will provide your access to the account. We accept payment via MasterCard, Discover and American Express payments made online through the PayPath convenience payment service provided through the ePayment system. There is a convenience fee of 2.75% per credit card payment.

Tuition payments are due on the 19th of the month. The first due date for fall semester is Sept. 19.  If you have additional questions or concerns, contact the Business Office at 651-962-6600.

Payment may be made in person at the Business Office windows during business hours. After hours, drop boxes are available in Murray-Herrick Campus Center, Room 105 on the St. Paul Campus, or in Terrence Murphy Hall, Room 201 on the Minneapolis Campus.

If you wish to make a payment by mail:
University of St. Thomas
Mail # 5002 
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105

The Business Office FAQ’s provide good information regarding taking care of business on campus.

We encourage you to learn more about the Tuition Refund Program. If there is any chance that your student may experience an interuption in their studies during the the semester, this program is an excellent tuition insurance opportunity.

‌For additional information spend some time browsing all of the Business Office webpages.

Information Technology Services (ITS)

We've created a webpage just for you (Incoming Students) as a new member of the St. Thomas community.  It is our hope to answer all of your questions about services that are available for you on campus, as well as bringing our own computer devices to campus.

Registrar's Office

The student is responsible for all personal information. The Registrar's Office must have something in writing from the student or an e-mail from the student sent to .

Proxy Information
University of St. Thomas (UST) students can authorize other individuals access to certain portions of their academic records. These individuals are known as proxy users. Through UST Murphy Online, students have the ability to select, from a list of authorizations, which pieces of information their proxy can view. Information given to the proxy will be available in “Read Only” format. The proxy will not be able to update any student information or request any written documentation via their Proxy Access. For further information: 

In both cases, the student may share this information with you or he/she may print the information from Murphy Online at

Yes – through the Parents on Campus program, parents of full-time students may take undergraduate courses on a space-available basis. Contact the Registrar's Office at 651-962-6700 for more information or click here.

Residence Life

If your daughter/son applied for housing (after being accepted at the university), information about which hall they'll live in and who their roommate will be is mailed to your permanent home address just before the Orientation and Registration process begins in July. The mailing also includes contact information about your assigned roommate.

Moving in before the Friday before Labor Day weekend is strictly limited to those with prior approval and well established need. This is due to the heavy use of residence halls for summer conferences and the need to get them cleaned and ready for student residents in the fall.

Some upper class students return early to help prepare for the beginning of the semester. Athletes involved in fall intercollegiate sports and participating in organized practices also may be approved to return early. Those who move in early are usually given their permanent room. Members of the football team are housed together for about ten days during their fall camp and may have to move again into their regular room at the end of the camp.

Information with specific move-in times will be mailed to students at their permanent addresses.

Yes, but some restrictions apply.
- Microwaves should be 900 watts or less.
- Refrigerators should be no larger than 5.5 cubic feet or taller than 35 inches.

Combination microwave ovens and refrigerators are provided by the university in John Paul II, Murray and Grace halls.

Homemade Lofts are not allowed to be constructed. For further information regarding this question see the Residence Life Handbook. For answers to other questions please visit the Residence Life website.

Yes. You'll need to follow the directions supplied by your calling-card company. However, students are given a long distance authorization code and most students find that the long-distance rates offered by the university are very attractive. Long distance costs are billed monthly to your student's account.

The Residence Life Handbook provides clear information about which appliances are acceptable.

We encourage students to carefully complete the roommate assignment materials provided during the housing application process to help ensure the best match possible to begin with.

If your daughter/son does have problems, they should contact their RA as soon as possible.  RA's are trained to assist with conflicts among roommates.

Be aware that housing options are very tight. It's usually best to try to work out any problems in their current room situation. Open communication will help.

All of the Residence Halls are open through the academic year; however, students MUST register with their hall director to remain in the halls over break; they must also advise if they need to leave for a period of time during a break. Food service may NOT be available during breaks; students should be attentive to changes in service availability and prepare accordingly.

Student Services

We hope that your student will communicate with you if they are experiencing academic difficulties, but in accordance with FERPA (Federal Educational Rights & Privacy Act) we do not notify parents about their student’s academic standing. An email message is sent to each student on academic probation and a certified letter and e-mail message is sent to each student who has been academically suspended or dismissed from UST. Probation/suspended/dismissed students are encouraged to meet with an academic counselor, and if your student would like you to participate in this meeting, that would be fine.

We'd be happy to contact your son or daughter, and we'd be happy to meet with the two of you, but we cannot be the go-between.

It is never too soon to begin planning to study abroad!  Have your student start by visiting the International Education Center, located in Murray-Herrick Campus Center, Room 212, to get an idea of the programs and sites that are available.

Encourage your student to get his or her name on the waitlist for the course, and also to speak to the professor.

There are significantly fewer course offerings for January Term than fall or spring semester, but if seats are available, students do not need special permission to register for January Term classes. Please note that class sections generally fill quickly and first year students often have limited enrollment.  January Term is a popular timeframe for UST students to study abroad.

Students are encouraged to officially declare their majors once they've earned 48 credits (typically, in the second semester of their sophomore year).  Some departments may allow students to officially declare their major slightly before 48 credits are completed.  Please encourage your student to consult with their advisor or the chair of the major academic department for details.

The Center for Student Achievement is located in Murray-Herrick Campus Center, MHC 110.  The center's mission: Through its collaborative and holistic approach, the St. Thomas Center for Student Achievement works with students who are exploring, seeking support and searching for opportunities to enrich their academic experience.  The Center provides services and programs in a welcoming environment with the goal of empowering students to become confident, self-directed and engaged learners who are prepared to achieve their academic and personal goals.

Trying out for intercollegiate athletics? Here is what you should know :

  • All first year students must have a physical on file with the UST Student Health Service. This physical must have been administered within 6 months prior to participation in any practice, competition or conditioning activities. After the first year, an updated medical history form is all that is required. Physical examination forms can be found at the UST Student Health Service web site:
  • All athletes must provide evidence of health insurance. The insurance coverage must have a minimal limit of at least $75,000 and cover athletically related injuries. No student will be allowed to practice or compete in any sport until such evidence is on file with the UST Athletics Department. A photocopy of the front and back of your insurance card should be on file with the UST Athletics Department. UST will assume NO responsibility for the payment of medical expenses resulting from injuries that occur while participating in intercollegiate athletics
  • If you need to purchase health insurance or have questions regarding the health insurance offered through St. Thomas,, or call 651-962-6752. The insurance offered through St. Thomas provides a good option at a reasonable price.
  • The following forms need to be on file with the UST Athletics Department before your son or daughter will be allowed to practice. Coaches will forward these forms to you as part of their summer letter or call the UST athletics office 651-962-5982 regarding these forms. Acknowledgement of Insurance form (remember to include a photocopy of the front and back of your health insurance card); Emergency contact and Insurance Information form; and Sports Participation Agreement form

Work-Study/Student Employment awards are listed on the Notification of Award as financial aid; however, a work award does not guarantee a job. Students need to seek, apply for and obtain their own job. Available jobs are posted on the Human Resources Web site at Freshmen may begin their job search in July and August, but most students begin looking and actually secure a job when they arrive on campus in September.

It is up to the student to decide how student employment earnings will be used to pay for college costs. Income earned from student employment is available every two weeks in the form of a St. Thomas paycheck, direct deposit to a bank account or as a payment towards a student’s St. Thomas bill. Earnings from student employment programs are taxable income.

For further information visit the student employment website: Students usually work between 6 and 15 hours per week. The current campus wage range is $7.00 to $10.00 per hour. If the student employment award is accepted, a Student Employment form and W-4 form can be accessed and submitted on Murphy online.

No, it will not. We believe that costs are similar regardless if your daughter/son lives on-campus or off-campus and we do not make adjustments to their financial aid package. Similarly, if your daughter/son lives at home, we understand that you will be incurring costs to maintain them in your home.

If you want to be considered for financial aid from all sources (federal, state and St. Thomas), and types (grants, scholarships, loans and work), you must reapply each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Factors such as family size, number of family members in college, income and assets may change each year and these are the factors used to determine a family’s ability to pay for college each year. The application and reapplication is now available on-line at or a paper application is made available each year.

Health Services is staffed by RNs, Nurse Practitioners, Physical Therapists, Physicians, including Internal Medicine and Psychiatry. Appointments are highly recommended, however walk-in visits are available for urgent care needs. Appointments for routine visits and ongoing chronic care needs can be made similar to any primary care clinic. Laboratory services are available. X-ray is not available on campus; however, referrals are easily made.  Health Services will refer to local specialists if necessary. For more information about Health Services:

All students are required to have health insurance. For further information about insurance options:



In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, the university does not discriminate on the basis of sex in programs and activities.  The university has appointed Ms. Nora Fitzpatrick , Senior Assistant Dean for Administration, as the Title IX coordinator to implement the university's efforts to comply with this law and its related regulations, including the investigation of any alleged non-compliance with or activity prohibited by Title IX, such as sexual harassment.  Any person who believes that the university is not in full compliance with Title IX should contact Ms. Fitzpatrick.

Title IX Coordinator

Danielle Hermanny, JD
Title IX Coordinator
Aquinas Hall, 110

As a parent, this information is very hard to receive.  You may feel free to advise your student to report their experience to the Minneapolis or St. Paul Police.  If your son or daughter is not willing or able to take that step, they can confidentially go to Counseling and Psychological Services and/or Health Services to receive confidential assistance and treatment.  Your student may also take advantage of sexual assault services off campus.  Please see resources below.

Support and services are available for students who know or witnessed someone being harassed or assaulted.  The Dean of Students sexual assault resource is a very good beginning.  Personal support is available through Counseling and Psychological Services.

Your daughter or son can also contact the Dean of Students Office for immediate support and care: 651-962-6050.

Dean of Students Office: Sexual Assault

Resources for students on and off campus

Frequently asked questions about response and care after assault

The University of St. Thomas considers our relationship with parents, guardians and families as a partnership.  It is our intention to achieve the following goals:

  1. Encourage active engagement of parents, guardians and families in the developmental processes of their students, with attention to their own personal journeys as life-long learners and morally responsible citizens.

  2. Provide current information on programs and trends within the university which assist parents, guardians and families in supporting their student through the Parent Resource website and StThomasPARENT monthly electronic newsletter.

  3. Continue intentional interdepartmental collaborations, especially with Orientation & Registration and Homecoming/Family Weekend, to provide robust service and response to concerns raised by parents, guardians and families.

Study Abroad

You can learn more about all of the program possibilities for your student to participate in by visiting the International Education website:

University Relations

Parents of St. Thomas students can subscribe two electronic news services:

  • Newsroom, a web-based daily newspaper that is available to faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends every weekday during the academic year.

    To subscribe, go to or call (651) 962-6408 or (800) 328-6819, ext. 6408.

  • StThomasParent, the monthly electronic newsletter, an excellent resource for information in support of your student’s experience on campus.

    To subscribe, go to the UST Parent Resource Page; click on subscribe.

VIA and VISION Programs