Tuition Insurance Plan
Eligible students may wish to consider an optional insurance plan that provides coverage options for tuition, academic fees, housing, and board when a student must withdraw due to a covered medical condition. The GradGuard™ Tuition Protection Plan (TPP) is underwritten by Allianz Global Assistance and is a service of Next Generation Insurance Group, LLC. The TPP is not a plan of the University of St. Thomas . The TPP may provide insurance benefits in situations where refunds are not available under the St. Thomas refund policy.
2023-2024 Comparison of Refund Schedules
Subject to the TPP terms and conditions, if a covered student withdraws from classes due to a personal injury or sickness, the TPP will return up to 100% of the insured term tuition, academic fees, housing, and board, with a maximum coverage amount of $40,000. The schedule below highlights how the TPP extends beyond the University's refund schedule (assuming full TPP coverage is purchased):
|For Fall & Spring Terms if Withdrawal Occurs||UST Tuition Refund||TPP Tuition Refund||Student Receives|
|Through the 14th calendar day of the term||100%||0%||100%|
|The 15th - 21st calendar day of the term||80%||20%||100%|
|The 22nd - 28th calendar day of the term||60%||40%||100%|
|The 29th - 35th calendar day of the term||40%||60%||100%|
|The 36th - 42nd calendar day of the term||20%||80%||100%|
|The 43rd calendar day of the term & beyond||0%||100%||100%|
Important Items to Note Regarding the TPP
- Injury and sickness withdrawals must force the student to withdraw from all courses for the balance of the term and the conditions must be certified by a licensed physician.
- Coverage must be obtained prior to the end of the 14th calendar day of the term.
- Participation in the TPP is completely optional.
- Refunds for students receiving Title IV financial aid will be calculated according to federal guidelines.
- Coverage options are available for all Fall and Spring terms.
- Custom coverage for J-term and/or summer terms may also be available; contact GradGuard directly for more information.
- Students with a pre-existing health concern are eligible to enroll in this plan, subject to all other TPP terms and conditions.
- Certain exclusions apply.
- For more information visit GradGuard.com/Tuition/stthomas or call (877)794-6603
The TPP coverage cost is 1.10% of the coverage purchased. That equates to $110 for every $10,000 covered. Visit the GradGuard website for more information on the TPP coverage.
Student Life Assistance
An additional plan benefit is the Student Life Assistance plan from Allianz Global Assistance; it gets students the help they need, when they need it. This benefit provides assistance with:
- Making travel arrangements for family to visit a hospitalized student
- Making transportation arrangements for an ill student
- Arranging for vehicle transport if ill/injured student is unable to drive vehicle home