Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas
Archbishop John Ireland commissioned Emmanuel-Louis Masqueray, the architect of the St. Paul Cathedral and the Basilica of St. Mary, to design the chapel. The design is an adaptation of the Byzantine style used for basilicas in several northern Italian cities during the Renaissance, with a pattern based on the Latin Cross. The first celebration took place on the feast of St. Thomas Aquinas on March 7, 1918. Today, many liturgies are celebrated in the chapel for the university students and the community at large.
The chapel at the University of St. Thomas is not a parish. However, we are permitted to celebrate the sacraments for those who have a connection to the university community. Couples who hold a wedding ceremony in the Chapel receive a 50% discount on the room rental fee to hold their reception on campus.
The Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas has become the favorite venue for performing and recording choirs over the past decade. From the Grammy nominated Dale Warland Singers to local favorite Magnum Chorum, choirs of sacred music have found our Chapel to be their favorite venue for live performances and professional recording.
Hourly visitor parking is available anytime at the nearby Anderson Parking Facility or Morrison Parking Ramp.