Active Shooter Emergency Guide
If you hear gun shots or become aware of an active shooter, determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life. Remember that others are likely to follow your actions during an active shooter situation.
Run. When an active shooter is in your vicinity:
- If there is an escape path, attempt to evacuate.
- Evacuate whether others agree to or not.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Help others escape if possible.
- Prevent others from entering the area.
- Call Public Safety at 651-962-5555 when you are safe.
Hide. If you cannot evacuate or get out safely, you need to find a place to hide, remain quiet and calm.
- Act quickly and quietly.
- Try to secure your hiding place the best you can. It should be out of the shooter’s view, provide protection if shots are fired in your direction, and not trap or restrict your options for movement.
- Hide behind large objects. Take cover behind cement or solid items (in newer buildings most interior walls are sheetrock and don’t provide the required protection). Use furniture or heavy items for protection.
- Turn out lights.
- Lock and/or blockade the door.
- Stay away from windows and out of sight.
- Silence your cell phoneand anything else that makes noise.
- Remain very quiet.
Fight. As a last resort, and only if your life is in danger:
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
- Act with physical aggression.
- Improvise weapons.
- Commit to your actions.
When law enforcement arrives:
- Remain calm and follow instructions.
- Keep your hands visible at all times.
- Avoid pointing or yelling.
- Know that help for the injured is on its way.
Contact Public Safety