About the Selim Center
The Selim Center for Lifelong Learning at the University of St. Thomas is a quality lifelong learning resource for persons aged 40 and older in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan areas and beyond. The Center enhances the lives of participants through educational programs and social interaction with one another and with traditional college-age students. The Selim Center encourages learners to grow in mind, body, and spirit, so they will continue to think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good.
The Center was founded in 1973 by Dr. Mohamed Selim, Professor Emeritus, Economics. The Center was renamed in his honor in May 2011, in recognition of his foresight in establishing this center for lifelong learning. The Center has expanded its offerings throughout its history, originally offering auditing of undergraduate classes at its inception. In addition to the undergraduate auditing program, the Center currently offers more than 200 hours of educational programming each school year, covering the full range of liberal arts education.
Inspiring Passion for Lifelong Learning
Watch an interview with Center founder Dr. Mohamed Selim, plus instructors and students of the Center, along with images from the Center's past.
Assistant Director, Operations
Board of Advisors
- Teresa Borzcik, Program Participant, Technical Manager (retired)
- Bernice Folz, Program Participant, Professor Emeritus, University of St. Thomas
- Willis Gilliard, Program Participant, Civil Engineer & Land Surveyor; Pastor
- Susan Huber, Program Participant, Professor & Provost, University of St. Thomas (retired)
- Ann Johnson, Professor of Psychology, University of St. Thomas
- Chris Kachian, Professor, Music Department, University of St. Thomas
- Alexander Levitan, Program Participant, President, A & L Management Co., New Brighton, MN; Medical Oncologist, University of Minnesota (retired)
- Lucy Levitan, Program Participant, Owner, A & L Management Co., New Brighton, MN
- Shari Loushin, Program Participant, Chemist (retired)
- Tanya Rand, Clinical Faculty, School of Social Work, University of St. Thomas
- Sarah Schmalenberger, Professor, Music Department, University of St. Thomas
- Richard A. Wilhoit, Program Participant, Senior Counsel (ret.), Briggs & Morgan, P.A., Minneapolis, MN
- David Williard, Associate Professor of History, University of St. Thomas
- Jim Winterer, Journalist (retired)
- Wayne Zuehlke, Program Participant, CPA, Financial Executive (retired)
- Bob Shoemake, Selim Center for Lifelong Learning Director, University of St. Thomas
- Susan Anderson-Benson, Selim Center for Lifelong Learning PM/AD, University of St. Thomas
- Wendy Wyatt, Vice Provost, Academic Affairs
Support Our Mission
You are invited to enrich the lives of persons age forty and over by investing in the future of the Center through your financial contributions.