English Proficiency For International Students
St. Thomas policy requires international students to prove a minimum level of English proficiency for university level studies. Applicants must meet at least ONE of the following qualifications:
(Native English speakers from the following countries are exempted from this requirement: English-speaking Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Commonwealth Caribbean Countries)
- TOEFL iBT: Total score of 80 or higher for direct admission. 60 or higher for the International Year One program (St. Thomas TOEFL code is 6110).
- IELTS: Total score of 6.5 or higher for direct admission. 5.5 or higher for the International Year One program.
- Duolingo English Test: Score of 105 or higher for direct admission. 85 or higher for the International Year One program.
- SAT: 500 or higher on Evidence Based Reading and Writing for direct admission. 450 or higher for the International Year One program.
- ACT: 21 or higher on both English AND Reading sections for direct admission. 18 or higher for the International Year One program.
- Pearson PTE Academic: Score of 53 or higher.
- West African Exams Council Senior School Certificate: B3 or higher on English for direct admission. C6 on English for the International Year One program.
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE): B+ on English for direct admission. C on English for the International Year One program.
- National Senior Certificate (South Africa): 4 or higher on English Home Language OR 6 or higher on English as Additional Language for direct admission. 3 or higher on English Home Language OR English Additional Language for the International Year One Program.
- GTEC CBT: Score of 1200 or higher
- International Baccalaureate (IB): HL English score of 4 or higher
- AP exam: score of 4 or higher in English Literature/Composition
- ELS Language Center: Level 112 completion certificate with minimum GPA of 2.25 for direct admission. Level 109 completion certificate with 2.25 GPA for the International Year One program.
- Global Language Institute (GLI): Accelerated Level completion certificate for direct admission. Mastering Level completion certificate for the International Year One program.
- Transfer of 28 credits or more from an accredited U.S. college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher and the transfer equivalent of St. Thomas ENGL 121 or 190 with a grade of B or higher.
Score reports must be sent to St. Thomas directly from the testing center and must not be more than 2 years old.
Other Ways to be Admitted
International Year One
ELS Language Center
Testing Upon Arrival
All undergraduate international students are required to take a placement test for English composition classes upon arrival to St. Thomas.
Exceptions to this requirement are those who have a verifiable TOEFL score of 100 ibt or above, an IELTS score of 7.5 or above, or a bachelor's degree from an accredited US college or university (not an online degree).
The University of St. Thomas reserves the right to require additional testing of any incoming student's English skills.