Visiting Scholar Visa and Immigration Support

Have questions about immigration or obtaining a Visa while planning your trip to visit? We’re here to help! The J-1 exchange visitor Visa was created to facilitate cultural exchange between the United States and other nations. J-1 visitors and their dependents are encouraged to participate in university activities that will increase their understanding of U.S. culture.

H-1B Employees

The H-1B visa/status is used for a nonimmigrant temporary worker in a specialty occupation. It allows U.S. employers such as St. Thomas to hire qualifying foreign nationals temporarily in certain types of employment positions.

OISS works with hiring departments, Human Resources and the worker they hire to determine which visa type is appropriate for a particular position. We prepare H-1B petitions for qualified staff and faculty who are employed by the University of St. Thomas.

Download H-1B Employee Request Form

Contact OISS

Murray-Herrick Campus Center
MHC 212 (2nd Floor)
Mail #5014

Monday–Friday, 8:00-4:30pm
(651) 962-6650