Personal Safety Plan
The purpose of the personal safety plan is to provide students with an opportunity to consider how they may react or respond should an emergency occur on campus. We ask students to take a moment to consider their environment (living space, classroom, study areas) and consider where they may go if they need to leave these spaces quickly. Please consider the following:
What is one or more temporary off-campus location(s) you can go to on foot in case of an emergency? Once you have identified a location, answer the following questions to the best of your ability (Note: the answers to these questions should be re-evaluated as your familiarity with campus and the surrounding areas grows. Also note that If a St. Thomas alert instructs the evacuation of a building, the alert will not include instructions on where to relocate. Part of your personal safety plan should include a plan of where you will go if a building is evacuated.):
- How would you get to this location on foot? Do you know the route from your classrooms and residence?
- Who would you inform of your whereabouts?
- It is possible you will need a less temporary, next destination once you are at this off-campus location. What would this destination be and what are available methods of transportation to your next location (Public Transportation, Uber/Lyft, calling family/friend)
- What are the options for exiting your residence? your classrooms?
We understand that it may be helpful to consult with staff about your personal safety plan. If this would be helpful for you, please consider consulting with your instructor, or staff in one or more of the following areas:
- Public Safety Management Staff – 651-962-6100
- Residence Life – 651-962-6470
- Off-Campus Student Life – 651-962-6138
- International Students and Scholars – 651-962-6650
We also recommend that all students store Public Safety's contact information in their personal devices:
- Non-emergency: 651-962-5100
- Emergency: 651-962-5555