St. Thomas policy requires international students to prove a minimum level of English proficiency for university level studies. Applicants must meet at least ONE of the following qualifications:
(Native English speakers from the following countries are exempted from this requirement: English-speaking Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Commonwealth Caribbean Countries)
- TOEFL iBT: total score of 80 or higher (St. Thomas TOEFL code is 6110)
- IELTS: total score of 6.5 or higher
- SAT: 500 or higher on Evidence Based Reading and Writing
- ACT: 21 or higher on both English AND Reading sections
- Pearson PTE Academic: Score of 53 or higher
- GTEC CBT: Score of 1200 or higher
- International Baccalaureate (IB): HL English score of 4 or higher
- AP exam: score of 4 or higher in English Literature/Composition
- ELS Language Center: Level 112 completion certificate with minimum GPA of 2.5. Applicants with GPA 2.0-2.49 will be subjected to a committee review and may be asked for additional evidence of English proficiency.
- Transfer of 28 credits or more from an accredited U.S. college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher and the transfer equivalent of St. Thomas English 121 and 206 with a grade of B or above in the English courses.
Score reports must be sent to St. Thomas directly from the testing center and must not be more than 2 years old.
Conditional admission is offered to applicants whose academic credentials meet the standards for admission, but have not yet met the English proficiency requirement. Conditionally admitted students must meet one of the qualifications above before enrolling and before qualifying for an I-20 from St. Thomas. If you plan to attend an ESL program in the USA prior to enrolling in the university, you should obtain a document I-20 from the ESL provider, and bring the St. Thomas conditional admission letter with you to your F-1 student visa interview.
ELS Language Center
ELS Educational Services, Inc. is our recommended English as a second language training provider. ELS has more than 70 study locations around the United States, including a center here on the University of St. Thomas campus. Students who successfully complete ELS level 112 with a 2.5 GPA have met our undergraduate language proficiency requirement and do not need to take additional exams, such as TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. Please click here to learn more about the ELS Language Center.
Testing Upon Arrival
All undergraduate international students are required to take a placement test for English composition classes upon arrival to St. Thomas.
Exceptions to this requirement are those who have a verifiable TOEFL score of 100 ibt or above, an IELTS score of 7.5 or above, or a bachelor's degree from an accredited US college or university (not an online degree).
The University of St. Thomas reserves the right to require additional testing of any incoming student's English skills.