UST policy requires all non-native speakers of English to prove a minimum level of English proficiency for university level studies. Applicants may choose to submit one of the approved tests below as proof of their English.
Note: Native English speaking applicants from the following countries are not required to submit proof of English proficiency: English speaking Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Commonwealth Caribbean Countries.
- Score reports must be sent to St. Thomas directly from the testing center
- Score reports must not be more than 2 years old
- Score reports must be official and meet one of the options below
Options (Students must complete one of the following)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score report of *71 on the Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) with subscores of 17 on writing and speaking (The St. Thomas TOEFL code is 6110)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score report of *6.0
- SAT and ACT scores will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us by email to inquire about your scores
- IB (International Baccalaureate) English score of 4
- AP (College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement) examination in English Literature/Composition score of 4
- ELS Language Center successful completion of Level 112 with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. Students with a minimum CGPA of 2.0 – 2.49 will be subject to secondary review by the international admissions committee
- Transfer of 28 credits or more from an accredited U.S. college or university, with the transfer equivalent of UST English 121 and English 206, with a grade of B or above in the course transfer, and with a CGPA of 2.75 or above
- Pearson PTE Academic: score of *46 or higher
English Success Program
Students who are starting their studies in the fall semester and have met the English placement requirement but with TOEFL iBT scores below 80 (and subscores of 20 on writing and speaking), IELTS scores below 6.5, or PTE Academic scores below 53 will be required to take a prescribed set of courses their first semester.
Please note that the length of your degree program may be extended by one semester in order to accommodate these required courses.
Any questions about English proficiency requirements can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please plan to take the TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, SAT, ACT, AP, or IB exam by the following date:
|Fall term:||July 10|
|Spring term:||December 10|
Conditional admission is offered to applicants whose academic credentials are high enough for admission to St. Thomas but who have not met all of St. Thomas' English proficiency requirements.
Testing Upon Arrival
All undergraduate international students are required to take a placement test for English composition classes upon arrival to St. Thomas.
Exceptions to this requirement are those who have a verifiable TOEFL score of 100 ibt or above, an IELTS score of 7.5 or above, or a bachelor's degree from an accredited US college or university (not an online degree).
The University of St. Thomas reserves the right to require additional testing of any incoming student's English skills.