Grants and Scholarships

Some scholarships and grants are need-based and require the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) while others are based on merit and do not require the completion of the FAFSA.

Graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grants, Minnesota State Grants or most other types of grant funds awarded to undergraduate students.

Although they are not listed on this website, most graduate departments have scholarships and grants to award to students. Contact your academic program for more information.

Graduate Access Grant

The Graduate Access Grant is a university-funded grant available to assist with tuition expenses for students who bring distinctive personal characteristics to St. Thomas and/or who have overcome significant obstacles or hardships. Applicants must be seeking their first graduate degree.

Department Scholarships and Grants

Most graduate departments have scholarships and grants to award to students. Contact graduate admissions team from your school or college to inquire about specific departmental scholarships and grants.

Minnesota State Grants

Child Care Grant

The Postsecondary Child Care Grant Program helps low income students who have young children pay for child care while the student attends classes. Assistance is available to students who are Minnesota residents (or whose spouses are MN residents) and have dependent child care expenses.

Student Teacher Grant

The Minnesota Student Teacher Grants provide postsecondary financial assistance to eligible students enrolled in Minnesota teacher preparation programs during one term in which the student is completing a required 12-week or more student teaching experience.

Public Safety Officer’s Survivor Grant

The Public Safety Officer’s Survivor Grant provides educational benefits to dependent children and the surviving spouse of a public safety officer killed in the line of duty.

External Scholarships

External scholarship funding opportunities may be available. We compile a list of helpful resources to utilize as a guide for researching external scholarships. Note, the University of St. Thomas does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this information.

Tax Implications of Grants and Scholarships

Scholarships/grants may be considered taxable income to you at both the state and federal level. Please refer to IRS Publication 970 (PDF) (“Tax Benefits for Education”) for more information about the federal income tax implications of any scholarship/grant you have received. International students should refer to IRS Publication 515 (PDF) (“Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Entities”) for more information about the federal income tax implications of scholarships/grants you receive. The revenue or tax department in the state where you file your state income tax return can provide information regarding the state tax implications of any scholarships/grants you receive.

It is recommended that you keep a copy of all documentation you receive for any scholarships/grants paid to you by the University of St. Thomas or other organizations. St. Thomas will provide you with an IRS Form 1098-T that indicates the amount of any scholarships/grants you received from St. Thomas during the prior calendar year.