BS in Mechanical Engineering
The BS in Mechanical Engineering is an applied engineering program, blending theory and research with practical engineering fundamentals. Additionally, students in the program develop the breadth of a Liberal Arts foundation which is part of the St Thomas tradition. The BS in Mechanical Engineering program is academically rigorous and is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET (www.abet.org). Together with our Industrial Advisory Board, we have defined a critical set of outcomes and objectives for our students and alumni.
The mechanical engineering curriculum combines the study of basic sciences, general engineering, design engineering and mechanical engineering with the study of the liberal arts. Emphasis is placed on applied engineering.
The curriculum provides for a foundation in: theoretical and applied mechanics, materials, electrical-electronic fundamentals, computer-aided design, automation systems, thermodynamics heat transfer/fluid flow, manufacturing processes and practical design. Undergraduate engineering also coordinates courses with the department of Aerospace Studies Air Force ROTC program.
Students graduating with a major in mechanical engineering will meet the program objectives and outcomes designed to exceed the requirements of ABET's Engineering Criteria 2000. These are a comprehensive set of criteria designed to provide graduates with the technical, ethical, attitudinal and communications skills required to be a productive contributor to society and to aggressively seek life-long learning experiences.
From: University of St. Thomas Undergraduate Academic Catalog
BS in Mechanical Engineering Plans of Study
The following are available in Adobe .pdf format:
Fall semester study abroad in Australia - Mechanical Engineering Plans of Study:
- BS in ME Study Plan - Study Abroad - U of Melbourne - Arcadia- Plan of Study
- BS in ME Study Plan - Study Abroad - U of New South Wales - Plan of Study
- BS in ME Study Plan - Study Abroad - U of Sydney - Plan of Study
- BS in ME Study Plan - Study Abroad - U of Technology Sydney - Plan of Study
One year abroad in Germany (German and Engineering Dual Degree Program) - Mechanical Engineering Plan of Study:
- Plan of Study - BS in Mechanical Engineering and BA in German
- Learn more about the St. Thomas International Engineering Program.
Undergraduate Engineering Enrollments
- Fall 2016: 678 students (Civil, Computer, Electrical, Mechanical and Engineering 3-2 programs)
Bachelor's Degrees Awarded in Engineering
- Year 2016-2017: 130 Total (92 Mechanical Engineering, 34 Electrical Engineering, and 4 Computer Engineering)