Do you enjoy a creative challenge?
Do you have school spirit?
Do you like to win?
If so, then here is the competition for you!
The University of St. Thomas is holding a contest to create a fight song for its transition to D-I. St. Thomas has an alma mater (college anthem), but it does not have an official fight song. The contest is open to all St. Thomas students, faculty, staff and alumni.
So what is a fight song? According to Webster’s Dictionary, a fight song is “a song used to inspire enthusiasm usually during an athletic competition.” However, we will add this: It is a call to action! It fosters school spirit! In addition, it brings us together to support teams and each other! We will be using it for much more than athletic events!
The contest will be in two parts: first, a contest for the lyrics, and second, a contest for the music. Individuals or teams are encouraged to submit for each. A judging committee composed of faculty, staff, students and alumni will evaluate all the lyric and music submissions and select winners based on the guidelines laid out for the contest.
Introducing the Winning Fight Song Contest Lyrics
St. Thomas is one step closer to having a new fight song. The university’s general counsel and secretary, Sara Gross Methner, won the lyrics contest with the following entry:
Let’s go, Tommies!
Roll, Toms, roll!
Ever forward towards our goal
Pressing further, faster, higher – purple passion fuels our fire
Roll, Toms, roll!
We won’t give up and won’t give in
Gray and purple play to win
For dignity, respect and pride
Tommie spirit unified
For more information on the lyrics contest and winner please visit the Newsroom.
OPEN NOW: Music contest entries due Jan. 7
General concepts of the music submissions:
- Use the lyrics above as written. While not recommended, if your music would flow better with a slightly different word or phrase, please note any changes to the lyrics in your submission.
- It should sound like a fight song/rouser, not an anthem/alma mater.
- Minimum requirements are a melody with a chord structure. However, adding full harmonization and rhythmic accompaniment/orchestration would be great.
- Notation of the music is preferred; however, we would accept audio renditions or both.
The music phase of the fight song contest is open from now until Jan. 7. The winner will receive $1,000 and a $500 gift card to the Tommie Shop. Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org … Good luck!
Music contest guidelines:
- The music should be creative and high energy with an inspiring and positive rhythm to capture the energy and excitement of St. Thomas.
- All submitted work must be original and must not include, be based on, or derived from any copyrighted music or lyrics.
- All entries must be submitted by email to email@example.com. We want to hear from you!
- Winners will be notified by the judges and the fight song will be publicly performed for the first time at a men’s and women’s basketball game in January/February 2022.
- Most importantly ... Have fun with it! Let's see what you’ve got!
Terms and conditions:
By submitting an entry to the contest:
- You agree to submit no more than three lyrics and three music pieces for the contest;
- You agree that each song submitted for the fight song contest is your original work and does not infringe upon the intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity;
- You agree that if your submitted fight song lyrics or music is selected as the winner, you will relinquish all claims, rights, interests and benefits related to the display, modification, reproduction, publication, distribution, use, and other exploitations of the fight song and that St. Thomas may copyright the fight song;
- You agree that St. Thomas holds all right, title and interest to the submitted fight song, including its lyrics and music, and that St. Thomas or music contestants may alter or change the lyrics or music at any time;
- You agree that St. Thomas shall use the song for promotional, marketing, advertising and/or educational purposes and has the right to the fight song and may choose when to use it or not to use it at all;
- You agree that you have read and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions and the fight song contest rules (see above); and
- You agree that your failure to comply with these terms and conditions and the fight song contest rules will result in the disqualification of your submitted songs(s).
Questions: If you have any questions please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org