Professional Licensure Disclosures: Criminal Justice

Although professional licensure requirements for peace officers vary from state to state, every U.S. state, district, and territory requires the successful completion of some form of skills training/police academy in order to obtain a peace officer license.

The University of St. Thomas Criminal Justice (Law Enforcement Program) prepares students for licensure as a professional peace officer in Minnesota. Students who intend to take the Minnesota Peace Officer Licensing Examination must complete CJUS 345 (Police Operations), SOCI 251 (Race and Ethnicity) and PSYC 111 (General Psychology). Students must also obtain Emergency Medical Responder certification and successfully complete the "skills training" portion of a Professional Peace Officer Education Program at a school certified by the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training.

Contact Dr. Tanya Gladney, the department's Law Enforcement Program Coordinator, with any questions about licensure and required courses.

Students who intend to pursue professional licensure outside of the State of Minnesota should contact the appropriate agency to seek guidance and information confirming licensing requirements.

Students should be aware that licensure requirements are subject to change periodically and may include educational or degree requirements, professional examinations, background checks, character and fitness qualifications, work experience, fingerprinting, and other requirements.

Contact Information

Dr. Tanya Gladney
Law Enforcement Program Coordinator

Professional Licensure Disclosures by State

Program Information: Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Criminal Justice

Date Updated: 03/21/2023

classified map

Meets Educational Requirements*: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, District of Columbia, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY, American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Republic of Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau, Virgin Islands

* Educational Requirements means a high school degree (or its equivalent) or post-secondary education at an accredited college or university.