The Parking & Transportation Services office handles all parking questions, issues parking permits, takes requests for special event parking, sells Metro Transit bus passes, and processes University of St. Thomas parking tickets and appeals.
The Shuttle Schedule Has Changed
Due to increased traffic over the past couple of years, the shuttle has been unable to meet the twenty minute turn-around during rush hour. Seeing that this is not an isolated problem due to construction, etc., we have changed the schedule between 6:00 am and 9:00 am, and between 3:00 pm and 7:00 pm. Please see the new schedule.
Planning: Parking Changes and Updates
It is important to know where to park. Here are some changes to be aware of.
- Morrison Parking Garage R-2 is now reserved for holders of red or yellow permits and hourly parking. This is similar to the parking in Anderson Parking Facility. Permit holders swipe their St Thomas ID card upon entering or exiting. Parking is available in both the north and south section sections of the parking garage. R-3 and Lot C is restricted to holders of Residence Life Permits.
- Lot B is now a restricted parking lot for holders of Admissions Guest permits. This restriction applies Monday -Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A red or yellow St Thomas permit is required Monday – Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. Friday from 5:00 p.m. to Sunday at 10:00 p.m. no permit is required; however, there is no parking in this Lot from 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. seven days a week.
- The restriction of No Parking 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. also applies to the following parking locations: Anderson Parking Facility, Anderson Student Center Parking Garage, McNeely Parking Garage, Morrison Parking Garage R-2, Lots B, D, I, K, L, M, N, O, P. In Lot A there is no parking Sunday to Friday 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.; however, parking during this time is permitted on Friday and Saturday nights.
- There are times when a vehicle may need to be left overnight. The designated parking lot for this is Lot V. The vehicle must be registered with Parking and Transportation Services, 651-962-7278.
Starting this fall, there will be two types of handicapped parking stalls in the surface lots. One set of stalls will be labeled for holders of a valid state issued handicapped permit along with a valid red (employee) or yellow (commuter) permit. The second set of stalls will be for holders of a valid state issued permit and the signs will be labeled for a two-hour limit. Guests with just the handicapped permit will not be allowed to park in the stalls requiring a St. Thomas parking permit or in any lot without a permit. Guest handicap parking is also available in the parking ramps, during visitor parking hours. The same parking restrictions for 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. also apply to handicapped parking.
This is being done to provide more equitable parking for guests with handicapped permits coming to campus.
Parking in Ramps, Garages, and Facilities:
- Anderson Parking Facility and Morrison Parking Garage R-2 offer guest parking from 5:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. McNeely Parking Garage and Anderson Student Center Parking Garage offer guest parking after 4:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and selected hours on week-ends.
- Beginning this fall, the parking systems are going to be cashless. This is the trend with automated parking systems. It saves time for the guests entering and exiting and greatly minimizes staff time in maintaining the system and curtails general operation problems.
- Guests parking in these facilities must use a credit card Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. Hourly payers are not to take a ticket. They swipe the credit card when they enter and the same credit card when they exit. They do not go to the pay station.
- If a guest has been told they will be given a parking voucher by a St. Thomas staff member for complimentary parking, the guest should then pull a ticket. The parking voucher will be given by the staff member to the guest at their meeting. The guest then enters the parking voucher and the parking ticket at the exit gate.
- It has been over a decade since the hourly fees for parking have increased. Beginning at the start of the semester, the hourly rates for parking will go from $1.50 per hour to $2.00 per hour before 4:00 p.m. and from $1.00 per hour to $1.50 per hour after 4:00 p.m. Again, payment is only by one of the above listed credit cards. No cash.
Notice Regarding Changes to Parking for the 2019/20 Academic Year
The University of St. Thomas is embarking on multiple construction projects in spring 2019. We are thrilled to be launching these building projects which will enhance our campus and provide support to our students. Two new residence halls and the Iverson Center for Faith are scheduled to be complete in fall 2020.
Our normal parking capacity constraints will be made worse by some parking lots coming offline and construction workers being on campus.
We encourage all members of the university community to consider alternative transportation options rather than driving to campus. Use of alternative transportation supports the University’s commitment to a sustainable campus, and helps alleviate parking congestion on and around campus. Alternatives available at St. Thomas include:
- HourCar rental Learn more >
- Walking/biking to campus, with additional bike racks coming in summer 2019
- Metro Transit, with discounted passes available Learn more >
As a result of construction projects, and in support of the University’s commitment to sustainability, there will be changes coming to campus parking.
There will be no changes to the following parking facilities during the construction period: C, I, K, L, M, N, O, R1, P, S1, U, V, X, and Y.
The following operational changes will be effective on September 1, 2019 or as noted:
- Lots D, G and Q will not be available May 26, 2019 through the construction period.
- Lot A will be unavailable during summer 2019, but half of the lot will reopen for use beginning in fall semester 2019.
- Lot B will convert to admissions, handicap permit parking and handicap visitor parking, with no faculty/staff permit parking.
- The lot between the development building and the current Child Development Center will be shared between the Wellness Center and University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) for visitors of those departments.
- Morrison Ramp will offer resident permit parking on R3 and faculty/staff permit and hourly parking on R2. There will be no more contract parking in R2.
- The Anderson Parking Facility will no longer offer resident student parking. The APF will continue to be available for faculty/staff permit, commuter and hourly parking.
- Overnight campus parking will not be available for off-campus students.
- A limited number of resident student parking permits will be available. As always, student permits will be allocated using a lottery system. Resident student permits will be valid in Morrison Ramp R3, Lot S1 and Lot U.
- St. Thomas permits will be required for faculty, staff and students using handicap parking, in addition to state-issued handicap parking permits. Visitor handicap parking will be available in pay-by-the hour visitor parking areas. Free visitor handicap parking will be in Lot B with a two-hour time limit.
- Parking policies will be strictly enforced to preserve order and provide access to parking for those who pay for permits and contracts. Read parking policies >
See parking locations on the campus map.
Prices for parking permits, contracts and hourly parking are being adjusted for the upcoming academic year, effective September 1, 2019.
- Resident student parking fees
- Commuter student parking fees
- Faculty/staff parking fees
- Visitor/hourly parking
For questions regarding campus parking, please contact Parking & Transportation Services at 651-962-PARK or email@example.com.