Services Offered

All undergraduate, graduate, full-time, or part-time students at the University of St. Thomas are eligible for services offered at CAPS. All students seeking services meet first with a counselor for an Initial Consultation Appointment to discuss the reasons for seeking counseling services and to determine the best course of treatment, which may include a referral to an off-campus provider. 

CAPS staff counselors can provide brief in-person or phone consultation for St. Thomas employees on personal issues and appropriate community resources. However, employees are asked to use their university benefits for ongoing mental health consultation and services. 


Students can make an appointment by doing the following:

  • For the St. Paul Campus, you can stop by the Counseling and Psychological Services, 35 South Finn Street or you can call us at (651) 962-6750.
  • For the Minneapolis location, please call (651) 962-6750 to schedule an appointment.
  • Appointments cannot be made via E-mail.

Length of appointments vary by service, and can range from 30 minutes to 90 minutes.

For your first appointment, you will be asked to come 20 minutes early to complete client information forms.

If faculty/staff are interested in consulting regarding a student, please call 651-962-6750.

You can work with a counselor to explore your concerns and work towards a better understanding and resolution of your difficulties. The first session is an intake (an exploration/assessment session). The total number of sessions will vary depending on the issue(s) you bring to counseling. At times, your counselor may recommend psychological testing such as the MMPI. For more information on what to expect in counseling, refer to Client's Rights and Responsibilities.

Group therapy is a powerful tool to connect with community in a private space and engage in healing growth and positive change. It is often even the treatment of choice for many common concerns students face. We have many different groups and workshops available. For more information and a list of current groups, refer to the Group Counseling page.

If you or a friend need immediate help, please call Counseling and Psychological Services at 651-962-6750. For more information on after hours help, please read the Crisis/Emergency page.

Occasionally students come to Counseling and Psychological Services asking for intervention on their behalf as a result of academic or disciplinary difficulties. Although Counseling and Psychological Services staff will try to help students deal with such a situation and prevent future occurrences, as a general policy Counseling and Psychological Services does not intervene in administrative decisions regarding individual students.

If you are concerned about your drinking behavior, Counseling and Psychological Services staff can help you assess whether it is a problem and what steps you can take to change it. For specific information, visit the Alcohol Assessment page.


If you’re a student with concerns about a friend, roommate, or family member or a faculty or staff member wondering how to deal with a troubled student, or a parent with concerns about the emotional well-being of your student, Counseling and Psychological Services staff can help you find a solution.

Outreach Education Program

Counseling and Psychological Services are available to provide outreach programs to residence halls, university departments, student clubs & organizations, and athletic teams, on a variety of topics. Outreach programs are designed to increase education and awareness to contribute to the emotional and psychological well-being of the St. Thomas campus community. Examples of outreach program include stress management, healthy relationships, mental health stigma, international student adjustment, how to help students in distress, adjustment to college, and transitioning to post-college life.

If you have either a consultation or outreach request on either the St. Paul or Minneapolis campus, call (651) 962-6750. You may also contact us via E-mail.

Referrals for off-campus counseling services, such as specialty treatment, individual psychotherapy, family or couples counseling are available through the Center for Well-Being Health Case Manager, Lisa Voland, LICSW. Students can contact the Health Case Manager by contacting the CWB Front Desk at 651-962-6750, or emailing the CWB at

UST staff are also encouraged to use the referral service of ComPsych Guidance Resources.

ComPsych Guidance Resources Contact Information:

For access over the phone, call toll-free
1-800-96-HELPS (1-800-964-3577)

Visit to access hundreds of personal health topic and resources for child care, elder care, attorneys or financial planners.

If you’re a first-time user, click on the Register tab.

  • In the Organization Web ID field, enter: HLF902
  • In the Company Name field at the bottom of personalization page enter: ABILI
  • After selecting “Ability assist program”, create your confidential user name and password
  • Getting Help Should be Easy