Third Party Billing

The Third Party Billing option is for student's who wish to bill their tuition and fees directly to an outside party, such as an employer, outside scholarship provider, or sponsoring agency (such as a Federal, State, or Military agency).

Third party billing arrangements require the timely submission of written authorization from the third party as well as a student information release authorization form, as further described below. The student is responsible to ensure these submissions are received by St. Thomas in time to bill the third party. To avoid finance charges in the student account, the third party billing authorization must be received before the first student bill is due.

After the St. Thomas Business Office receives the third party authorization, a credit is entered on the student's account and a charge is entered on the third party billing account. However, the credit on the student's account DOES NOT reflect payment from the third party. Instead, third party billing statements, titled "Statement of Account/Invoice", are prepared after the add/drop period for the term in order to limit changes that might impact the amount due for tuition and fees. Monthly statements are mailed directly to the third party. After the first statement for each term, subsequent statements reflect any changes to the student's schedule/charges. These statements also indicate if a previous balance is unpaid.

Required Student Consent for Release of Billing Information to Third Party

The St. Thomas Business Office requires students to provide consent to the University to release student account and billing information to third parties, by submitting this Third Party Billing Student Information Release Authorization.  Without student consent, St. Thomas is unable to share your account or billing information with a third party.

Required Billing Authorization from Third Party

St. Thomas must receive an authorization form from the third party before third party billing can be processed, authorizing St. Thomas to bill the third party for the charges to be paid by the third party.  The authorization may be in the form of a letter, purchase order, or voucher.  It must be on the third party's official letterhead and signed by an officer of the organization.

The authorization must include:

  1. Student's name
  2. Student ID number
  3. Dates or term of eligibility
  4. Dollar amount, and/or type of charges that may be billed
  5. Complete billing address
  6. Name and phone number of a contact person

All third party billing authorizations also must include the term or dates that the authorization is in effect. A new authorization is required for each term that the student is eligible. St. Thomas does not notify the student or agency when the authorization expires at the end of the term.

Any restrictions or contingencies on the authorization cannot be handled by the Business Office. For instance, if the third party requires grade or transcript information before payment, St. Thomas cannot authorize third party billing.  (In that case, the third party would have to submit payment to the student, and the student would pay the charges directly.)

Students or the third party may mail, fax, or hand deliver the third party billing authorization to the Business Office.

University of St. Thomas
Business Office, Mail #5002
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN. 55105
Phone: (651) 962-6603
Fax: (651) 962-6630

Third Party Payment Information

Third party payments must be made within 90 days of the date St. Thomas bills the third party. If payment is not received within 60 days, a notice of nonpayment will be sent to the third party. If payment is not received within 90 days, a notice of nonpayment will be sent to the third party and also to the student. After 120 days of nonpayment, the student will be billed for the unpaid amount. Any charges that are not paid by the third party are billed directly to the student. Third party billing authorizations for future terms will not be accepted from students with an unpaid balance from their third party.

Third party payment can be made in the form of a check or an electronic funds transfer.

Check - Make checks payable to the University of St. Thomas. To ensure that check payments are applied correctly and to avoid the student receiving duplicate credit, it is important that payments reference the THIRD PARTY account number, and not the student ID number.

Electronic Funds Transfer - Contact the Business Office to obtain electronic funds transfer bank information. Reference the third party account number and/or the students name when initiating an electronic funds transfer for accurate and timely credit.