Science, Mathematics and Engineering Scholarships
The University of St. Thomas will offer two full-tuition scholarships and two $8,000 scholarships to top candidates who intend to pursue degrees in the sciences, mathematics or engineering starting in fall 2019.
The Role and Characteristics of the Science Scholar
The Science Scholar is an ambassador for the science, mathematics and engineering programs at the University of St. Thomas. Our Science Scholars represent the science, mathematics and engineering programs at various functions during their studies at the university, and by their leadership. Consequently, we are looking for well-rounded, high-achieving candidates with a love and contagious excitement for science, mathematics and engineering.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Applicants must be high school seniors during the 2018-2019 school year
- ACT composite score greater than or equal to 27 or SAT total score greater than or equal to 1280 and a high school GPA of 3.50 or greater (at your time of your application)
Scholarship recipients must major in one of 11 undergraduate academic areas: actuarial science, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, computer and information sciences, data analytics, engineering, environmental science, geology, mathematics, neuroscience, physics or statistics.
Recipients must maintain a 3.5 institutional GPA to renew their scholarships. Scholarships may be renewed for three years.
Interested students who meet the scholarship eligibility requirements will be asked to complete the information below when applying for the Science, Mathematics and Engineering Scholarship.
- A list of all of the science and mathematics courses, not listed on your current transcript, that you will complete before you graduate from high school.
- Describe up to three leadership experiences you have had in the past four years.
- Describe why you are interested in the Science, Mathematics and Engineering Programs at St. Thomas.
- The name, email address and discipline of a teacher who would provide a letter of recommendation for you if selected as a finalist.
An invitation will be sent to select applicants to attend the 2018 Science, Mathematics and Engineering Scholarship Testing Day, held on January 19, 2019. On testing day, applicants will take tests in different STEM fields and the finalists selected based upon testing results. If selected as a finalist, we will contact the teacher you listed on your application for a letter of reference. In addition, you will be asked to provide an essay discussing your plans in science, mathematics, or engineering, and explaining how an education at St Thomas will contribute to them. Interviews of finalists will take place on February 23, 2019.
December 3, 2018
Last day to submit application to be invited to test.
January 14, 2019
Deadline for invited students to register for the scholarship test day and submit supporting transcripts and test score to the Admissions office.
January 19, 2019
Scholarship test day at the University of St. Thomas
Selected candidates and their parents will visit the University of St. Thomas to tour the campus, visit the Frey Science and Engineering Center, meet faculty and staff and take tests in mathematics and the natural sciences.
Finalists will be selected and asked to interview with the scholarship committee. The scholarship recipients will be chosen from these finalists.
February 23, 2019
Finalists will be interviewed by the committee on campus.
Announcement of two full tuition and two $8000 scholarships
May 1, 2019
Deadline for acceptance of all scholarships