Persons earning this major are licensed as K-6 generalists. Adding a Middle Level Endorsement to a K-6 license can be completed at either the undergraduate or graduate level. Contact the Department of Teacher Education for information and advising.
Elementary Education - Major Field Guide
Majors must complete the following:
- A second major in addition to Elementary Education
Note: The Co-major in Science and Mathematics for Elementary Education (SMEE) described at the end of this section is designed to fill the requirement for a second major.
- Core Elementary Education (K-6) Requirements
- EDUC 210 Education’s Place in Society and Field Experience (4 credits)
- EDUC 212 Human Relations and Multicultural Education (4 credits)
- MTLE or other Minnesota BOT approved licensure exam required for admission to program
- EDUC 330 Psychology for Teaching and Learning (4 credits)
- EDUC 332 Field Experience II: Learning & Teaching (0 credit)
- EDUC 350 Language Development, Literacy, and Literature I (4 credits)
Note: Allied Math and Science requirements must be completed as a prerequisite to Block 3.
- EDUC 370 Language Development, Literacy, and Literature II (4 credits)
- EDUC 371 Teaching Mathematics and Technology (4 credits)
- EDUC 372 Teaching Science and Healthy, Active Living (4 credits)
- EDUC 373 Teaching Social Studies and Fine Arts (4 credits)
- EDUC 337 Field Experience III: Curriculum & Instruction (0 credit)
- MTLE II & Content Area Exams required for licensure
- EDUC 456 Inclusive School Communities (2 credits)
- EDUC 460 Clinical Practice: Student Teaching and Seminar (10 credits)
- Demonstrated competence on all required state standards
Allied core curriculum math and science courses to meet state competencies:
- MATH 100 Mathematical Sampler (4 credits)
- MATH 121 Structures of Elementary Mathematics (4 credits)
- Two laboratory sciences (one each chosen from two different fields)
- IDSC 150 Development of the Natural World (4 credits). If IDSC 150 is taken, an additional lab science is recommended but not required.
To view a list of currently offered education courses click here.