Persons earning this major are licensed as K-6 generalists. Adding a Middle Level Endorsement to a K-6 license can be completed at either the undergraduate or graduate level. Contact the Department of Teacher Education for information and advising.
Elementary Education - Major Field Guide
Majors must complete the following:
Core Elementary Education (K-6) Requirements
- EDUC 210 Education’s Place in Society and Field Experience (4 credits)
- EDUC 211 Field Experience I: Exploration (0 credits)
- MTLE: Basic Skills or other Minnesota BOT approved licensure exam
- EDUC 330 Psychology for Teaching and Learning (4 credits)
- EDUC 332 Field Experience II: Learning & Teaching (0 credit)
- EDUC 329 Diverse Learners and Families (4 credits)
- EDUC 350 Language Development, Literacy, and Literature I (4 credits)
Note: Allied Math and Science requirements must be completed as a prerequisite to Block 3.
Block 3 (Note: Allied Math, Science, and Social Studies requirements must be completed as a prerequisite to Block 3.)
- EDUC 370 Language Development, Literacy, and Literature II (4 credits)
- EDUC 371 Teaching Mathematics and Technology (4 credits)
- EDUC 372 Teaching Science and Healthy, Active Living (4 credits)
- EDUC 373 Teaching Social Studies and Fine Arts (4 credits)
- EDUC 337 Field Experience III: Curriculum & Instruction (0 credit)
- EDUC 431 Use of Technology for Instruction (2 credits)
- EDUC 460 Clinical Practice: Student Teaching and Seminar (10 credits)
- Demonstrated competence on all required state standards and MTLE II Pedagogy & Content Area exams required for licensure
Allied core curriculum math and science courses to meet state competencies (must be completed before Block 3):
- MATH 100 Mathematical Sampler (4 credits)
- MATH 121 Structures of Elementary Mathematics (4 credits)
- MATH 259 Elements of Geometry & Statistics (4 credits)
- BIOL 101 General Biology (4 credits)
- CHEM 100 Chemistry in Our World (4 credits)
- PHYS 101 Physics as a Liberal Art (4 credits)
- GEOL 111 Intro to Physical Geology (4 credits)
The above courses will also fulfill the Natural Science/Math Core Curriculum Requirement.
- PSYC 111 General Psychology (4 credits) OR SOCI 100 Intro to Sociology (4 credits)
- POLS 104 American Government (4 credits)
The above courses will also fulfill the Social Analysis Core Curriculum Requirement.
- HIST 113 Early American in Global Perspective (4 credits) OR HIST 114 The Modern US in Global Perspective (4 credits)
- HIST 115, 116, 118, or 119 (all non- US history courses - 4 credits each)
The above courses will also fulfill the Historical Studies Core Curriculum Requirement.
- GEOG 113 World Geography (4 credits)
The above courses will also fulfill the Human Diversity Core Curriculum Requirement.
A concentration or minor is strongly recommended in one or more of the following areas:
SMEE (Science and Math for Elementary Education)
20-24 additional credits or minor in a content area such as English, History, Spanish, etc.
To view a list of currently offered education courses click here.