Nonprofit Organizations Clinic
The Nonprofit Organizations Clinic focuses on the legal needs of existing and aspiring nonprofit organizations. This course is designed to help nonprofits get off the ground and sustain themselves as they promote social and economic justice here and abroad. Students who take this class are likely to volunteer for nonprofit organizations; learn about governance, compliance, operations, and management; and help promote servant leadership and social justice. The clinic is a full-year commitment with applications accepted in the spring semester. Students are supervised by Jenn Urban of Legal for Good.
Services Provided by the Clinic
Here are some of the types of matters we may be able to address:
- Creating/amending Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws
- Filing applications for 501(c) income tax exemption with the IRS
- Filing applications for sales tax exemption with the Minnesota Department of Revenue
- Creating/amending policies and procedures
- Dissolving existing nonprofits
- Researching complex legal issues related to nonprofits
If you are interested and would like to inquire about representation, please complete our Nonprofit Law Clinic Application Form and include one of the following to demonstrate proof of need:
1. If you're starting a nonprofit:
- Any termination letter or notices demonstrating lack of employment,
- Tax Return from prior year, Form 1040,
- Copy of pay stubs from last 2 months,
- Proof of enrollment in Free or Reduced Lunch Program, OR
- Proof of enrollment in state, county, or federal assistance (i.e. food stamps, Medicaid, or other government assistance program).
2. If you're already a leader of a nonprofit:
- Financial statement or ledger demonstation the organization's annual revenue is ordinarily $10,000 or less, OR
- If the organization raises more than $10,000 annually, a statement explaining why an exception should be made for your needed project(s).
Additionally, we adk that applicants provide a statement detailing:
- A description of the project you'd like the Nonprofit Law Clinic to assist you with,
- An explanation of your motivation underlying the project, AND
- What lasting impact you believe the project will have upon the community.
ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MAY BE SUBMITTED TO email@example.com.