Independent Study

Students need to arrange the academic portion of an Individual Study or Research as usual, identifying a faculty member who will oversee and assess your work, and obtaining the required approval signatures, etc. The form that must be completed and filed with the Registrar is here:

Individual Study/Research Form

If the Individualized Study involves domestic overnight or international travel (for any reason or length of time), you will also need to follow the protocol below. If you have questions, please contact Suzanne Windett, Office of Study Abroad, 651.962.6456,

For both domestic and international travel:

For International Travel Only:

  • Based on your travel registration, you will be enrolled in CISI Insurance, a comprehensive health, travel and safety insurance policy. The cost of the insurance will be billed to your St. Thomas student account.
  • Register your travel with the U.S. Department of State through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
  • Review health information with the Center for Disease Control ( If necessary, make a travel clinic appointment. Student Health Services is a certified travel clinic (651.962.6750).
  • International Travel requires a valid passport. Information on obtaining a passport is available on the U.S. Department of State web site.
  • You are responsible for obtaining a visa for your travel, if necessary. Check to confirm if you destination country requires a visa. 

Note that all university-related travel is subject to the Risk Assessment, Travel Advisories & Cancellation Policies.