Harassment Restraining Orders/Orders for Protection

Perhaps you’ve been a victim of sexual/domestic violation, stalking, or some other form of unwanted contact, and you wish to pursue a restraining order, or order for protection.  You first might wonder what the difference is between the two. 

Harassment Restraining Order

An HRO can be pursued if you have been the victim of a single incident of physical or sexual assault, or if there have been repeated intrusive or unwanted acts against you. 

Order for Protection

An OFP can be pursued if you’ve been the victim of domestic violence and fear for your safety.

So what do I do?

Information about seeking an HRO or OFP through Ramsey or Hennepin County can be found at the following links:

Ramsey County Juvenile and Family Court

Hennepin County Domestic Abuse Service Center

A criminal police report is not required to apply for either order.  Application forms can be printed and completed prior to going to court.  The application process time can vary, but can take up to several hours.  You are encouraged to get there as early as possible during business hours.  It is strongly recommended you maintain your own personal records regarding any incidents, as well as copies of mailings, e-mails, texts, photos, medical records, etc., in addition to any copies of police or court records you may obtain.

There is a filing fee for HRO’s.  There is no filing fee for OFP’s.

NOTE Court clerks cannot tell you which order you should request.  If you are not sure, utilize advocacy/support services offered.  Two such organizations are noted below.

In Ramsey County, contact:

Bridges to Safety

In Hennepin County, contact:

Tubman Crisis & Support Services