Neighborhood disturbances: 3 steps you can take

If you're disturbed by excessive noise or other livability issues in the neighborhood, we urge you to take immediate action.

Here are three easy steps:

  • Dial 911. The complaint will get to the Saint Paul Police Department (SPPD) computer file and elicit a police response. Report the exact address of where the disturbance is occurring or the nearest cross streets of where you see trouble. The more specific the complaint can be, the better.
  • Dial Neighborhood Relations, 651-962-6123. Neighborhood relations program director Amy Gage records all reported disturbances and then works with landlords, neighbors and student-renters themselves to resolve any issues. Verified complaints are shared with the Dean of Students office, which works with students to be responsible, respectful neighbors.
  • Dial Public Safety, 651-962-5100. Make a similar report at this 24-hour number. Although Public Safety has no legal jurisdiction in the neighborhood, our officers can serve as witnesses to the event, and their presence often helps loiterers move along.

Chronic problem properties

If you've witnessed or experienced numerous problems at a given property, contact either the neighborhood liaison or the landlord.

You may also inform either Union Park District Council at 651-645-6887 or Macalester-Groveland Community Council at 651-695-4000, depending on the property's location. And you may file a complaint with the city's Department of Safety and Inspections at 651-266-8989.

St. Thomas collaborates with the City of St. Paul, landlords, the SPPD, and a variety of formal and informal neighborhood groups to ensure that properties in the city's Student Housing Overlay District are well maintained and populated by responsible student neighbors.