The Murray Institute for Catholic Education
is a collaboration between the University of St. Thomas and the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. Within the University, the present partners in this collaboration are the School of Education and the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity. The Institute understands Catholic educational ministries to include education in the schools and faith formation in the parishes of the Archdiocese.
The Murray Institute sustains and enhances the quality of Catholic education in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis through the development, delivery, and funding of advanced professional programs integrated with theological education to those who are employed in the educational ministries of the Archdiocese.
The Murray Institute’s vision is to provide a viable, systemic means by which the Catholic educational ministries of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis can flourish. Thus we aspire to be agents of change in creating and maintaining:
• A Catholic educational system that has the professional and
theological resources necessary to ensure its Catholicity and its effectiveness for the future.
• Dedicated teachers and educational leaders who are knowledgeable and skilled and who are formed in their faith to serve the educational mission of the Church.
• Schools and parish programs that have a clear Catholic identity and are known for effective teaching, learning, and leadership practices.
Regionally and nationally, the Murray Institute seeks to be a model of effective collaboration between Church and university.
As a collaborative institute we are committed to:
• ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE. We foster a culture among faculty, students and staff that values excellence in the acquisition of knowledge and the development professional skills and dispositions to fully and faithfully serve the educational ministries of the Church.
• ACCESS. We ensure access to advanced education and professional and spiritual enrichment opportunities for those who serve in the educational ministries of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis through judicious use of our endowment funds and with the support of the University.
• PURSUIT OF TRUTH. We value intellectual inquiry and the pursuit of truth as life-long habits, which inform our baptismal call to proclaim Christ and the Gospel by what we say and do.
• COMPATIBILITY OF FAITH AND REASON. We actively engage the Catholic intellectual tradition, which values the fundamental compatibility of faith and reason and fosters meaningful dialogue directed toward the flourishing of human culture.
• JUSTICE AND HUMAN DIGNITY. We empower people to discern the most pressing needs of society and utilize their knowledge and skills to address them according to the guiding principles of Catholic Social Teaching. We value the dignity of every person and work for a more just and inclusive society.
• DIVERSITY. We strive to equip our educational ministers with the skills and dispositions necessary to serve the increasingly diverse faith communities of this Archdiocese and to celebrate the richness they bring to the whole people of God.
• COMMUNITY. We strive to build a community based on forgiveness of one another, caring for each other, bearing one another’s burdens, and supporting one another in personal prayer and sacramental worship.
• GRATITUDE. We celebrate the achievements of all members of our community in goals attained and obstacles overcome, and in all things give praise to God as witnesses to the life-giving and hope-giving good news of the Gospel.