Concentration in General Business Management
The general business management program consists of the core courses that all students majoring in business at the University of St. Thomas are required to take, regardless of their specialization. This program contains courses that will give the student an understanding of business fundamentals without emphasizing a particular area, such as accounting or marketing. With this concentration, the student will be described as a generalist, with a broad business base. Because fewer courses are required in this concentration, there is more room for elective courses. These elective courses may be taken in one department, giving a strong secondary academic concentration or a minor, or they can be related courses from different departments (e.g., management marketing, finance). Note: a minimum of 76 credits outside the Opus College of Business are required for graduation.
Job titles of recent graduates with a general business concentration include business analyst, business consultant, account executive, service consultant, commodity manager, account analyst, customer service representative, merchandise coordinator, and marketing assistant.
Business Core Courses:
BUSN 100: Business for the Common Good (2 credits)
- ENTR 100: Introduction to Entrepreneurship & Innovation (2 credits)
- ACCT 100: Principles of Accounting I (4 credits)
- BUSN 200: Business Learning Through Service (0 credit)
- ACCT 200: Principles of Accounting II (2 credits)
- OPMT 300: Operations & Supply Chain Management (2 credits)
- FINC 310: Core Financial Management (2 credits)
- MKTG 200: Introduction to Marketing (2 credits)
- MGMT 200: Working Skillfully in Organizations (2 credits)
- BLAW 300: Law for Business Leaders I (2 credits)
- BETH 300: Ethical Principles in Business (2 credits)
Note: The required core business courses (BUSN 100, ENTR 100, ACCT 100, ACCT 200, BUSN 200, FINC 310, OPMT 300, MKTG 200, MGMT 200, BETH 300, BLAW 300) must be completed by the end of the sophomore year. Transfer students who have not had an equivalent course must complete these courses by the end of their first semester, junior year.
Elective Courses in Business Core:
- Ten credits from undergraduate courses with designations ACCT / BETH / BLAW / ENTR / FINC / MGMT /MKTG / OPMT / REAL. These credits may be taken in courses within the department of the student’s business concentration. Transfer credits with these designations must be at the 300 level or above.
- MGMT 385 Inclusive Leadership (2 credits)
- MGMT 391 Elements of Global Business (2 credits)
- MGMT 480 Strategic Management (4 credits)
- BUSN 202 Microsoft Excel Business Applications (0 credits)
or CISC 200 Introductory Computer Technology and Business Applications (4 credits)
ECON 251 Principles of Macroeconomics (4 credits)
ECON 252 Principles of Microeconomics (4 credits)
STAT 220 Statistics I (4 credits)
Note: STAT 220 should be completed by the end of the sophomore year. Transfer students who have not had an equivalent course must complete this course by the end of their first semester, junior year.
Plus four credits from the following:
MATH 101 Finite Mathematics (4 credits)
MATH 109 Calculus with Review II (4 credits)
MATH 111 Calculus for Business and Social Science (4 credits)
MATH 113 Calculus I (4 credits)
Note: The math requirement must be completed by the end of the sophomore year.
Plus four credits from the following:
COMM 100 Public Speaking (4 credits)
COMM 105 Communication in Workplace (4 credits)
COMM 370 Intercultural Communication (4 credits)
- ENGL 211 or above (4 credits)
Minor in Business Administration
- BUSN 100 BUSN for the Common Good (2 credits)
- BUSN 200 Busn Learning Through Service (0 credits)
- ACCT 100 Principles of Accounting I (4 credits)
Plus 12 credits from the following courses:
- ACCT 200 Principles of Accounting II (2 credits)
- BETH 300 Ethical Principles in Business (2 credits)
- BLAW 300 Law for Business Leaders I (2 credits)
- ENTR 100 Entrepreneurship & Innovation (2 credits)
- FINC 310 Core Financial Management (2 credits)
- MGMT 200 Working Skillfully in Orgs (2 credits)
- MKTG 200 Intro to Marketing (2 credits)
- OPMT 300 Operations & Supply Chain MGMT (2 credits)
Plus one course (of at least 2 credits) with designation:
- ACCT; BETH; BLAW; ECON; ENTR; FINC; MGMT; MKTG; OPMT; or REAL (at the 200 level or above) not already taken.
[Note: this includes any business core class from the prior list not already taken.]
Note: Students must complete a minimum of 14 credits within the following General Business Administration subject areas at St. Thomas: ACCT, BETH, BLAW, BUSN, ENTR, FINC, MGMT, MKTG, OPMT. Study Abroad and ACTC courses do not count as 'taken at St. Thomas' with the exception of the London Business Semester program. Coursework transferred to St. Thomas must be equivalent to St. Thomas coursework. Also, students receiving either a B.A. in Business Administration (with any business concentration or concentrations) or a B.S. in Real Estate (or both) cannot also receive a minor in General Business Administration.