Major in Biology of Global Health (B.S.)
Note: A student cannot simultaneously major in the Biology of Global Health and either major or minor in Biology (B.A. or B.S.), Biochemistry, or Neuroscience.
- BIOL 207 Genetics, Ecology, and Evolution (4 credits)
- BIOL 208 Biological Communication and Energetics (4 credits)
- BIOL 209 Biology of Sustainability (4 credits)
- BIOL 328 Environmental Toxicology and Health (4 credits)
- BIOL 474 Senior Seminar in Global Health (4 credits)
Plus 16 credits with at least four credits from each cluster:
- BIOL 356 Microbiology (4 credits)
- BIOL 360 Genetics (4 credits)
- BIOL 365 Developmental Biology (4 credits)
- BIOL 371 Cell Biology (4 credits)
- BIOL 462 Molecular Biology (4 credits)
- BIOL 464 Bioinformatics (4 credits)
Host and Disease Cluster:
- BIOL 302 Animal Diversity (4 credits)
- BIOL 363 Immunology (4 credits)
- BIOL 287 Biology of HIV/AIDS (2 credits)
- BIOL 467 Biology of Emerging Infectious Diseases (4 credits)
- BIOL 471 Evolution ((4 credits)
Ecosystem Health Cluster:
- BIOL 211 Introduction to Field Research (4 credits)
- BIOL 315 Plants, Food and Medicine (4 credits)
- BIOL 333 Ecology (4 credits)
- BIOL 335 Conservation Biology (4 credits)
- BIOL 361 Medical Geology (4 credits)
- BIOL 435 Aquatic Ecology (4 credits)
- BIOL 480 Urban Ecosystem Ecology (4 credits)
- CHEM 111 General Chemistry I (4 credits) and CHEM 112 General Chemistry II (4 credits)
or CHEM 115 Accelerated General Chemistry (4 credits)
- HLTH 353 Consumer, Community and Environmental Health (4 credits)
- HLTH 400 Epidemiology (4 credits)
- STAT 220 Statistics (4 credits)
- STAT 310 Statistics (4 credits)
Plus 12 credits selected in consultation with their academic advisor and approved by the Biology Department Chair.
- The courses must be cohesive and clearly related to each other as a block; however, they may be interdisciplinary and must be outside of Biology.
- The block of courses must be clearly related to the Biology of Global Health major.
- Students must submit a written proposal for these 12 credits that clearly describes how they are related to each other, how they are related to the BOGH major, and how they fit into post-graduation plans. The department chair must approve the proposal. The student may register for no more than one third of the credits prior to receiving approval of the proposal.