The Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas is located on the St. Paul North Campus of the University of St. Thomas. Archbishop John Ireland announced on April 11, 1916 that a chapel would be built at the College of St. Thomas. Emmanuel-Louis Masqueray, the architect of the St. Paul Cathedral, the Co-Cathedral of the Basilica of St. Mary, and the Church of Saint Louis, was chosen to design the adaptation of the Byzantine style used for basilicas in several northern Italian cities during the Renaissance, with a pattern based on the Latin Cross. The first celebration in the chapel took place on the feast of St. Thomas Aquinas, March 7, 1918.
The Florance Chapel is located on the lower level of the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas.
Archbishop Harry Flynn dedicating the new altar of the St. Thomas Chapel on March 1st, 2008
As a fulfillment of a gift of the class of 2004, the University of Saint Thomas commisioned the renowed liturgical artist Alexander Tylevich to fashion a new sanctuary crucifix.
Altar and Sanctuary Doors
Through the generosity of Saint Thomas benefactors, the University was also able to commision Tylevich to design and create a sanctuary door, new altar and ambo, and inscribe into the sanctuary floor a hymn of the University's patron, Saint Thomas Aquinas.