The Hybrid MSW
Same exceptional preparation for clinical practice...
...more flexibility for working professionals who want critically important face-to-face time AND on-line components they can complete from home…
For 15 years, we offered a Weekend Cohort distance learning option for working professionals who weren't able to make it to campus for our Weekday/Evening completion tracks, but who value the personal connections and the opportunities for in-depth discussions and focused practice experience of on-campus face-to-face learning. By increasing the online components of the program, the Hybrid MSW provides even greater access by significantly reducing the on-campus time requirement while maintaining meaningful face-to-face learning opportunities.
Please note that although the in-person class time is reduced, the curriculum and workload for each course is the same as our traditional, on-campus model and demands a significant commitment to the education. Also note that field placements for all completion tracks typically take place during regular business hours. Employed students will need flexibility in their schedules to accommodate the field education requirements of the program as detailed under Field Education»
Students seeking placements outside of the Twin Cities metro area will work with our MSW field team for field placement(s) in or near their home community.
The Hybrid MSW
Although primarily serving students who commute from Greater Minnesota and surrounding states, the Hybrid MSW option is available to any student needing the flexibility of distance learning:
- 2-year Advanced Standing and 3-year Regular Standing completion options for working professionals throughout the region
- Students will take 2 courses at a time in summer, fall and spring
- Courses meet on campus 3 Saturdays per term, 9:30 am - 5:30 pm
- On-campus sessions will take place at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul
- Students complete online coursework between sessions using a variety of online learning tools
- Courses in the Hybrid MSW start in the summer
- REQUIRED in-class (at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN) hybrid dates
Priority application deadline for 2021: January 10**
**There may be a second application deadline of March 10 for the Hybrid MSW, pending space availability. However it is likely that the Hybrid cohort will fill with applicants from the January 10 deadline, so we strongly encourage you to apply by the priority deadline of January 10 if possible.
Questions? Contact us at MSWinfo@stthomas.edu or call the School of Social Work at 651-962-5800.