Frequently Asked Questions

The Public Safety office is open 24/7 and is located on the ground level of Morrison Hall, off of LOT B.

A Public Safety desk is staffed in the Minneapolis School of Law from 8 AM - 4 PM M-F.

On-campus emergencies should be reported to Public Safety at 651 962-5555, or just 5555 from any campus phone. By coordinating emergency communications for on-campus incidents, Public Safety is able to meet emergency responders and lead them specific incident locations.

All off-campus incidents should be reported directly to 911.

All suspicious or criminal activity should be reported to Public Safety immediately. Provide clear, concise, detailed information to the dispatcher, as well as contact information for follow-up if necessary.

If on campus, contact Public Safety. Provide as much information as possible regarding the item(s) stolen; make, model, color, purchase value, serial #, etc. Public Safety will assist you with filing a police report.

Yes, by calling 651 962-TIPS, or e-mailing

All current community members are required to have a UST ID card and must present it upon request of a University official. The name and photo on the card must visible. If the photo is faded or if the name is illegible, a new ID must be obtained from the Card Office.

During business hours, a replacement ID can be obtained at the Card Office in Murray-Herrick 259.

If your ID has been lost/stolen, and the Card Office is closed, report the loss to Public Safety so your card can be deactivated.

Community members can get an escort 24/7 from Public Safety. Escorts are provided anywhere on campus, as well as within a six block radius around campus.

Public Safety will perform vehicle jumpstarts and lockouts 24/7, within a six block radius of campus.

Instructions for paying a ticket are on the ticket itself. To appeal a ticket, follow these instructions: appeals.

Bicycles can be secured to any bike rack on campus. Students should use a hardened U-style lock to secure their bikes. Bike racks are not intended as bicycle storage. Students may store bikes in their on campus residence as long as they are in compliance with Residence Life policy. Bikes secured to trees, railings, etc. are subject to immediate removal. Bikes that appear to be abandoned at bike racks will be tagged for removal. Bicycle Parking

Public Safety does not release copies of reports. Students going through the disciplinary process review reports when they meet with their judicial officer. If you need a report for insurance purposes, you will need to file a report with the police.

If you believe you are being harassed, contact Public Safety to file a report. Public Safety will assist you with filing a police report if necessary. Information for pursuing Harassment Restraining Orders/Orders for Protection can be found at the links below.

For Ramsey County, click here: Ramsey County Orders for Protection

For Hennepin County, click here: Hennepin County Orders for Protection

Minneapolis Police Department Records 350 5th St S., Room 31, Minneapolis, MN 55415 (612) 673-2961

St. Paul Police Department Records 367 Grove Street, 3rd floor, St. Paul, MN 55101 (651) 266-5700

Minneapolis Police Department Records 350 5th St S., Room 31, Minneapolis, MN 55415 (612) 673-2961

St. Paul Police Department Records 367 Grove Street, 3rd floor, St. Paul, MN 55101 (651) 266-5700

All campus medical incidents should be reported to Public Safety. Students who require medical care, but do not wish or need to be transported by ambulance can be seen at Health Services on campus, or can have transportation arranged by taxi to any number of medical facilities.

Health Services – St. Paul Lower Level Brady Residence Hall, near KOCH east entrance, Mon – Fri, 8 AM – 4:30 PM

Fairview Highland Park Clinic – Urgent Care 2155 Ford Parkway, St. Paul, MN 55116,

Mon – Fri 6 PM – 10 PM, Sat 8 AM – 10 PM, Sun 10 AM – 8 PM

United Hospital 333 North Smith Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55102

Regions Hospital 640 Jackson Street, St. Paul, MN 55101

In order to gain access to secure areas, community members must process the request through the faculty/staff member responsible for approving access to the area in question. That individual, pending their approval, will then submit a Request for Service to Public Safety for Building Access Authorization.

Contact Public Safety for assistance. Participants in a vehicle accident are required by law to exchange all necessary information with each other at the scene of the accident.

Public Safety will document the incident, as with any reportable incident that occurs on campus. If you require a report for insurance purposes, you must file a report with the police. Public Safety does not release reports for insurance purposes.

In St. Paul: Public Safety office, first floor of Morrison Hall off of LOT B.

In Minneapolis: Public Safety desk, second floor of Minneapolis Opus Hall.

Any items confiscated as a result of a violation will be reviewed with the student by their judicial officer. The judicial officer will make a determination as to whether or not to advocate for the item’s return. If the judicial officer does advocate for return of property, they will contact Public Safety with their recommendation. After receiving the judicial officer’s recommendation, the final decision regarding return of property shall be made by the Director or Associate Director of Public Safety.

Note: Any property held by Public Safety past 90 days will be disposed of or donated.