UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com .
- “Ad industry wrestles with recession,” Star Tribune, June 22, 2009. “‘Those cuts travel down to the agencies and there’s only one way to reduce costs and that means you let people go,’ said John Purdy, a professor of advertising at the University of St. Thomas with 35 years of hands-on experience in the business .” http://www.startribune.com/business/48642537.html
- “Ask the outside expert,” Star Tribune, June 22, 2009. Here’s the weekly business advice column showcasing Opus College of Business faculty experts. http://www.startribune.com/business/48552617.html
- “Priest gravely wounded in Iraq dies,” Star Tribune, June 22, 2009. Father Tim Vakoc, 49, was a St. Paul Seminary School graduate. http://www.startribune.com/local/48727537.html
- See also: “Beloved chaplain Vakoc survived Iraq war explosion, ministered until his death,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 22, 2009. http://www.twincities.com/ci_12661230
- See also: “Father Tim now ‘in the center of God’s will,'” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 26, 2009. http://www.twincities.com/ci_12696995
- See also: “Hundreds turn out for funeral of Father Tim,” Star Tribune, June 26, 2009. http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/49201167.html
- “Good Question: Why Do We Like to Watch Storms?” WCCO-TV, June 18, 2009. Dr. John Tauer, of the College of Arts and Sciences’ Psychology Department, explains. http://wcco.com/goodquestion/severe.weather.watch.2.1050937.html
- “Opinion exchange: McCain on skates,” Star Tribune, June 23, 2009. Columnist Lori Sturdevant writes, “Former U.S. Sen. Dave Durenberger’s pithy political analyses are an admired feature of his e-newsletter, distributed under the banner of his National Institute of Health Policy, based at the University of St. Thomas. I appreciated his description of Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s presidential prospects, in his June 18 missive … .” http://www.startribune.com/opinion/48934332.html
- “Burnsville City Council reviews liquor store ordinance; change would allow for new Costco,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, June 24, 2009. “Tuesday’s meeting was informational, with expert testimony provided by Frank Ball, executive director of the Minnesota Licensed Beverage Association; Dave Brennan, University of St. Thomas professor and co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence; and city of St. Louis Park officials Marcia Honold and Nancy Stroth.” http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_12676849
- “At Bat: Former college athletes learn everyone’s a winner in congressional softball league,” The Hill, June 26, 2009. “When Chris Carino first got to Capitol Hill, he faced the same dilemma. Carino is a legislative correspondent for Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and former center fielder for Furman University in South Carolina and the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota. After having played baseball competitively his whole life, Carino struggled to adjust to recreational softball.” http://thehill.com/todays-stories/at-bat-former-college-athletes-learn-everyones-a-winner-in-congressional-softball-league-2009-06-24.html
- “Goal Posts” is the title of a new Psychology Today blog by Dr. John Tauer of the UST Psychology Department. It offers commentary on the complex relationships between motivation, performance, competition, cooperation and goals. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/goal-posts