Orff Schulwerk Concentration
The Master of Arts degree with an Orff Schulwerk concentration features a broad range of theoretical courses balanced by requirements that apply to the general music teacher's work with students of all ages using Orff Schulwerk. In the Orff approach, teachers create an environment in which children become active, creative participants in their musical education. They experience music through movement, song, speech, and instrument playing, which prepares them for music reading and writing. Independent musicianship is developed through a teaching process that includes imitation, exploration, improvisation, composition, and literacy.
In this program, students will
- Sharpen performance skills necessary for achieving artistic ensembles
- Gain insights into historical and contemporary Orff ensemble literature through analytical study and orchestration
- Improve musical competency
- Broaden understanding of music history, theory, and literature
- Examine pedagogical uses of Orff media to teach music concepts, develop musical ideas and skills, and facilitate ensemble performance with children of all ages and ability levels
- Discover new applications for existing expertise
- Experience and explore strategies for developing successful improvisation and composition experiences
- Articulate ways in which Orff Schulwerk serves the common goals of the music education profession
Required music education core courses (17 credits)
GMUS 600 Introduction to Scholarship & Research Methods in Music, 3 cr.
GMUS 601 Teaching and learning, 3 cr.
GMUS 608 Foundations of Music Education, 3 cr.
GMUS 611 Perspectives in Music Theory, 3 cr.
GMUS 612 Topics in Music History, Literature, and Theory, 3 cr.
GMUS 750 Musicianship & Ensemble I, 1 cr.
GMUS 890 M.A. Final Project, 1 cr.
Required Orff Schulwerk concentration courses (11 credits)
GMUS 731 Orff Schulwerk Level I, 3 cr.
GMUS 732 Orff Schulwerk Level II, 3 cr.
GMUS 733 Orff Schulwerk Level III, 3 cr.
GMUS 735 Curriculum Development, 2 cr.
Orff Schulwerk elective courses (minimum of 5 credits)
GMUS 517 Developing the Child Voice in the Classroom, 2 cr.
GMUS 518 Teaching Choral Music to Young Singers, 2 cr.
GMUS 532 Orff Master Class, 2 cr.
GMUS 536 Smithsonian Folkways Certification in World Music Pedagogy, 3 cr.
GMUS 537 Latin American Music, 1 cr.
GMUS 544-xx Topics in Music Education, credits vary (advisor approval required)
GMUS 571 Advanced Performance Studies - Piano, 1 cr.
GMUS 651 Dalcroze Musicianship, 3 cr.
GMUS 671 African Music Ensemble, 2 cr.
GMUS 726 Intermediate Choral Conducting, 2 cr.
GMUS 741 Kodaly Level I, 3 cr.
GMUS 765 American Folk Music, 3 cr.
Other courses considered for elective credit (advisor approval required)
Music Dignostic Exams
Oral Comprehensive Exam