Non-Degree Courses

If you are not certain if you want to pursue a degree in counseling, the Graduate School of Professional Psychology (GSPP) has the perfect option for you - enrolling in a non-degree course (see list of courses below, all of which are required courses for the MA program). If after completing one (or up to three) of the non-degree course(s), you apply to and are accepted into the MA Program in the GSPP, you can transfer those courses into your MA Program.  (GSPP policy allows MA students to transfer no more than nine credits into the M.A. program). Apply (for free!) by filling out our short on-line application( click HERE) and submitting an official transcript showing that you were awarded your bachelor's degree. 

Non-Degree Course Descriptions

  • CPSY 600 Psychological Statistics (offered fall and spring semesters)
  • CPSY 611 Theories of Counseling and Personality (offered fall and spring semesters)
  • *CPSY 612 Human Growth and Development (offered fall and spring semesters)
  • CPSY 631 Physiological Bases of Behavior (offered fall and spring semesters)
  • *CPSY 650 Introduction to Marriage and Family Counseling (offered fall, spring, and summer semesters)

*with permission from the director of MA and Certificate Programs

Counseling Psychology Course Descriptions

What you can earn

  • Up to 9 transferrable credits to our M.A. Program

Where you will learn

  • Our Minneapolis campus

When to start

Application Deadlines:

  • Fall: August 1
  • Spring: January 1
  • Summer: May 1

1 | Meet the basic requirements:

  • Prospective students must have completed an undergraduate degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency.
  • An undergraduate degree in psychology is not required.

2 |  Meet the supplementary requirements:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) required for any candidate whose primary language is not English.

3 |  Submit the following application materials:

  • Completed application form
  • Official degree awarded undergraduate and graduate transcripts (unless degrees were issued by the University of St. Thomas). Submit transcripts to: or Graduate Admissions, University of St. Thomas, TMH 251, 1000 LaSalle Ave., Minneapolis, MN  55403