UST in the news
Here’s this week’s roundup of stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
You will be able to read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to archive status, so be sure to read stories soon if youre interested.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. Editors
- “New franchisor filings at five-year high,” The Business Journal, Dec. 6, 2002. The story is about UST alumna Denise Johnson and her entry into the franchising world.
- “Attorney: Cardinal must answer for Church’s actions,” Star Tribune, Dec. 10, 2002. This Associated Press story also quotes Patrick Schiltz of UST School of Law.
- “Franck among 15 College Hall inductees,” Star Tribune, Dec. 11, 2002. This Associated Press story also notes that Tommie wide receiver Andrew Hilliard was honored as a National Scholar Athlete in NCAA Division III.
- “Weekend Watch calendar,” Star Tribune, Dec. 12, 2002. http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/3520369.html
- “Free Time art calendar,” Star Tribune, Dec. 12, 2002. http://www.startribune.com/stories/1375/3525726.html
- “St. Thomas redrafts expansion plans; neighbors remain upset,” Star Tribune, Dec. 12, 2002.
- “St. Paul: St. Thomas revises its expansion,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 12, 2002.
- “Vatican II standards for holiness affect vocations,” The Catholic Spirit, Dec. 12, 2002. Father Bill Baer, rector of St. John Vianney Seminary, writes this column.
- “One step closer: Two St. Paul seminarians were ordained deacons Nov. 23,” The Catholic Spirit, Dec. 12, 2002. Paul Jarvis, 44, is a St. Thomas alumnus; he and Mark Pavlik are students at the St. Paul Seminary. Bishop Frederick Campbell concelebrated his first ordination as seminary rector.
- See also: “You don’t get what you don’t ask for,” a column by Jarvis.
- “The Catholic Spirit holiday basketball tourney tips off Dec. 27,” The Catholic Spirit, Dec. 12, 2002. UST again plays host to the annual boys’ high school basketball tournament.
- “Classical music calendar,” Star Tribune, Dec. 15, 2002. http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/3523247.html
- “Archbishop Flynn mentioned as a leading successor to Cardinal Law,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 13, 2002. Dr. Don Briel of UST’s Center for Catholic Studies is quoted.
- “Retail in home stretch,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 14, 2002. Dave Brennan of UST’s Institute for Retail Excellence and Marketing Department is quoted.
- “Obituary: Leonard Bisanz, 84, was St. Paul homebuilder,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 14, 2002. “He was drafted by the Cleveland Indians and recruited to play at the University of Minnesota but instead attended the College of St. Thomas.”
- “Books,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 14, 2002. In this list of new books on religion and spirituality is Christian Love, a new book by UST theology professor Dr. Bernard Brady.
- “Doug Grow: This Advent, a priest waits mostly patiently for new life,” Star Tribune, Dec. 15, 2002. Grow profiles Father Greg Tolaas, former UST campus minister, and his struggle with cystic fibrosis and his wait for a lung and kidney transplant. Star Tribune, Dec. 15, 2002.
- “Bruce Brothers/Recreation Notebook: For Christmas, you can check your condition,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 15. Brothers’ column profiles UST’s exercise physiology lab. “The non-profit lab, under the direction of exercise physiologist Daniel Carey, offers fat tests and oxygen-uptake tests to the general public.”
- “Reinventing suburbia,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 15, 2002. Dave Brennan of UST’s Marketing Department and Institute for Retail Excellence is quoted.
- “Business calendar,” Star Tribune, Dec. 15, 2002.
- “Community First names new board chairman,” PR Newswire story in Star Tribune, Dec. 16, 2002. According to the story, John Flittie also is an executive fellow at UST’s College of Business.
- “For young activists, Peacemaking 101,” Star Tribune, Dec. 17, 2002. A page one portrait of our Justice and Peace Studies program. http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3536988.html
- “Lay groups differ on idea of Flynn succeeding Law,” Star Tribune, Dec. 17, 2002. Dr. Don Briel of St. Thomas’ Catholic Studies program is quoted.
- “Downtowns use events, nostalgia to lure holiday shoppers,” Star Tribune, Dec. 17, 2002. The story refers to a study done by Dr. Dave Brennan and Dr. Lorman Lundsten of UST’s Marketing Department and Institute for Retail Excellence. Brennan also is quoted.
- See also: “Shopping spots,” Star Tribune, Dec. 17, 2002. Here’s a sidebar on Brennan and Lundsten’s study.
- “Student housing studied for University Avenue,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 17, 2002.