Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Loyalty’s rewards,” Star Tribune, March 3, 2010. “Having recently graduated from the University of St. Thomas with an entrepreneurial degree, 30-year-old Ryan Mason took an opportunistic view of the situation: He looked at it as a chance to reinvent one of the oldest businesses in the city.”
- “Warhawks earn NCAA bids,” Janesville (Wis.) Gazette, March 3, 2010. “The University of St. Thomas (St. Paul, Minn.) [women’s basketball team] is in the NCAA tournament for the 18th time and is making its second appearance since 2002. St. Thomas won the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference tournament for the first time in the 10-year history of the tournament to receive an automatic bid.”
- Filling the gaps: Small loans,” Star Tribune, March 4, 2010. “Getting access to capital for small businesses has been the toughest challenge we have had for 18 months,” said Mike Ryan, director of the Twin Cities Small Business Development Center at the University of St. Thomas, which assists companies like Tarraf’s. ” … It’s unbelievable. There are people who come in that really have a solid credit rating, who have never missed payment. Yet, many of the banks just aren’t budging and are not lending. It’s really frustrating.”
- “St. Thomas Men’s Basketball Accustomed To Victory,” WCCO-TV, March 4, 2010.
- “Literary calendar for March 7-14,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, March 5, 2010. “Bonnie Jo Campbell: Reading by a finalist for the 2009 National Book Award and National Book Critics Circle Award for her story collection, ‘American Salvage.’ Campbell is Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities visiting writer-in-residence at the University of St. Thomas this week. 7:30 p.m. Monday; O’Shaughnessy Educational Center Auditorium, 2115 Summit Ave., St. Paul.”
- Charley Walters’ column, St. Paul Pioneer Press, March 6, 2010. The sports columnist notes, “Jake [Mauer], a two-time All-America infielder at the University of St. Thomas, takes over the Miracle on Thursday. ‘He’s a baseball guy,’ Joe said of his brother. ‘I talk to Jake quite a bit. He loves being around the game and learning and teaching, and he’s got a new challenge here in high (Class) A. I told him I think it’s going to be great for him to see better baseball.'”
- “When does incorporating my business make sense?” Star Tribune, March 7, 2010. Dr. John Wendt of the Opus College of Business explains.
- “Link seen in grades, health insurance,” Star Tribune, March 8, 2010. “The U has required insurance for decades, but recently two other schools – the University of St. Thomas and Minnesota State University Moorhead – have begun experiments with mandatory coverage.”