Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “Father Laird to serve as vicar general, moderator of curia,” The Catholic Spirit, Oct. 20, 2009.
- “‘Revolutionary’ refinery is coming to Forest City,” Forest City (Iowa) Summit, Oct. 20, 2009. “Gregory Mowry let it sink in as he talked about the technology that will be used at new bio-diesel refinery that will be built near Forest City. ‘It doesn’t need water and it doesn’t produce any waste,’ the University of St. Thomas engineering professor said.”
- See also: “Mcgyan process to be deployed at Forest City, Iowa,” Biodiesel Magazine, Oct. 21, 2009.
- “Yasmin Levy Comes To The Ordway 11/1,” BroadwayWorld.com, Oct. 20, 2009. “Supplemental to Yasmin’s concert at the Ordway, Yasmin will also be offering a lecture demonstration at the University of St. Thomas in the O’Shaughnessy Education Center auditorium on Monday, November 2 at 7:30 p.m. This event is part of the university’s Sacred Arts Festival and is sponsored by the Jay Phillips Center for Interfaith Learning.”
- See also: “New Yasmin Levy Release & First US Tour Dates Since 2005,” Jazz News, Oct. 21, 2009.
- Charley Walters column, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Oct. 21, 2009. The sports columnist writes, “The University of St. Thomas men’s basketball team is ranked No. 4 nationally entering the season, according to d3hoops.com.”
- “Mauer named new Miracle manager,” Lehigh Acres (Fla.) Citizen, Oct. 21, 2009. “The Minnesota Twins announced today that Jake Mauer has been named manager of the Fort Myers Miracle. … He was a standout at NCAA Division III University of St. Thomas. As senior in 2001, he set the University of St. Thomas season record for hits with 83, and is the school’s career leader in hits (243), runs (181) and games (187). He was inducted into the St. Thomas Athletic Hall of Fame in 2007.”
- See also: “Miracle name younger Mauer manager after Jeff Smith promoted to Double-A,” Naples (Fla.) Daily News, Oct. 21, 2009.