Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note firstname.lastname@example.org .
- “Ask the consultant,” Star Tribune, July 27, 2009. Here’s the weekly column featuring experts from UST’s Opus College of Business.http://www.startribune.com/business/51626767.html
- “Engineering outside the envelope,” Star Tribune, July 27, 2009. “The expert says: Mike Ryan, director, Small Business Development Center at the University of St. Thomas Opus College of Business, said Noziska is off to a good start at succession planning, having brought in young partners who can take over the company and organized it as a corporation, which outlives an owner.” http://www.startribune.com/business/51440712.html
- Young Entrepreneurs / Joe Keeley: He turned a nanny job into into firm with 46 franchises, Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, July 24, 2009. Keely got his business started while he was an entrepreneurship student at St. Thomas.http://twincities.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2009/07/27/focus2.html
- “Will advertising morph into something of greater value?” Social Media Today, July 24, 2009. ” Another wonderful example of support and association is the SEEPS program in St. Paul, MN at the University of St. Thomas. STEPS stands for the Science Technology, and Engineering Preview Summer camp. My daughter benefited from this experience just last week by learning about aerodynamics, building a model plane and flying it, all for free, because these companies funded the STEPS program. Will I buy from them or invest in them? Yes.” http://socialmediatoday.com/SMC/111856
- “What makes them run: Kohls vows to ‘stand up and fight for limited government,” Politics in Minnesota, July 27, 2009. Four-term GOP state Rep. Paul Kohls, who has announced a gubernatorial run, is a St. Thomas alumnus. http://www.politicsinminnesota.com/2009/jul27/3506/what-makes-them-run-paul-kohls
- ” Dave Durenberger: On health reform, Obama’s in the box. We should let him out,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 26, 2009. “Dave Durenberger was U.S. senator from Minnesota from 1978 to 1995. He is a Senior Health Policy Fellow at the University of St. Thomas and chairs the National Institute of Health Policy.” http://www.twincities.com/opinion/ci_12908999
- “Dreams of home in expanding diasporas,” African Arts, Summer 2009. Dr. Heather Shirey, of the UST College of Arts and Sciences’ Art History Department, is author of this article.http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0438/is_2_42/ai_n31944762/
- Obituary, “Sheila White Eagle,” The Circle, July 24, 2009. White Eagle worked on the American Indian pow wow that was held at St. Thomas for many years.http://thecirclenews.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=209&Itemid=75
- ” Bad economy can make taking the bar exam even more stressful,” Minnesota Lawyer, July 24, 2009. “Scott Swanson, director of academic achievement at the University of St. Thomas Law School, runs a dedicated bar review course that meets twice a week in the two months leading up to the exam. He said that despite the downturn in the economy, he doesn’t think that the stress level of test takers is higher than usual.”http://www.minnlawyer.com/article.cfm/2009/07/27/Bad-economy-can-make-taking-the-bar-exam-even-more-stressful
- ” St. Paul gangs forum focuses on police database,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 29, 2009. Nekima Levy-Pounds, a University of St. Thomas associate professor of law, said many of the written questions submitted by audience members focused on the issue of racial profiling.”http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_12934685