UST in the news
Heres a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to archive status, so be sure to read stories soon if youre interested. In some cases, youll need to register on the publications Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at
- “Robert G. Kennedy: Catholics can part with bishops on Iraq,” Star Tribune, April 2, 2003. Kennedy, a Catholic Studies and Management Department professor, provided this contribution to the op-ed page.
- “St. Paul mayor hears youth concerns,” Star Tribune, April 2, 2003. Two St. Thomas students were among more than 40 who attended the mayor’s youth summit.
- “St. Paul: Students share worries with mayor,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 2, 2003.
- “Aschenbrener named Mendota Heights police chief,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 2, 2003. The new chief is completing a master’s degree in police administration and education from the University of St. Thomas.
- “Business schools of thought,” Twin Cities Business Monthly, April 2003. Dr. Christopher Puto, dean of UST’s College of Business, is pictured and is among those interviewed in this “Special Focus: Executive Education” story about the growing emphasis on ethics in business education and the wide variety of options for business students. (Not available online, but the magazine is available now on newsstands.)
- “New business dean strives for ‘something special’ at St. Thomas,” Finance and Commerce, April 2, 2003.
- “Weekend watch, April 3,” Star Tribune, April 3, 2003.
- “Names in the news,” The Catholic Spirit, April 3, 2003. http://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=1019
- “Neal St. Anthony/On Business: VirtualFund chairman to avoid angry shareholders,” Star Tribune, April 4, 2003. Dr. Christopher Puto, dean of the UST College of Business, comments.
- “Free Time art calendar,” Star Tribune, April 4, 2002. http://www.startribune.com/stories/1375/3798760.html
- “Father Guminga, Northeast neighborhood leader, dies,” Star Tribune, April 6, 2003. Guminga was a longtime sociology faculty member at St. Thomas.
- “Junior makes sure she’s in the running,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 6, 2003. Here’s a profile of UST junior Amy Aker.
- “Teacher bridges communication gap,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 6, 2003. ESL teacher and St. Thomas student Sara Maldonado is profiled.
- “Literary calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 6, 2003. Leslie Adrienne Miller of the UST English Department will give a reading from her latest poetry collection.
- “Around St. Paul: Union Depot put on fast track,” Star Tribune, April 7, 2003. Here’s a profile of the Union Depot’s new owner: Steve Frenz, 39, who has a bachelor’s degree
in economics and business from St. Thomas and an M.B.A. in business finance from the University of Chicago.
- “Health calendar,” Star Tribune, April 7, 2003. UST’s blood drive is noted.
- “Twin Cities business leaders agree to principle pledge,” Star Tribune, April 8, 2003. UST trustee David Koch is among one of the organizers of 40 Twin Cities business leaders in support of an evolving set of principles to help restore public confidence in American corporations. The Center for Ethical Business Cultures, a joint venture of St. Thomas and the University of Minnesota, is serving as the group’s administrator.
http://www.startribune.com/stories/468/3811348.html See also: “Business leaders sign on to ethics pledge,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 8, 2003. http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/5581274.htm and “Ethical principles signers,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 8, 2003. Signers in addition to Koch include Dr. Kenneth Goodpaster, Tom Holloran and Dr. Christopher Puto of St. Thomas’ College of Business. http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/5581272.htm
- “Spotlight: St. Thomas softball: A passion for softball, St. Paul Pioneer Press, April 8, 2003. Here’s a nice profile of John Tschida, St. Thomas’ softball coach.
- "The Rev. James Whalen, St. Thomas journalism prof, dies," Star Tribune, posted April 8, 2003. http://www.startribune.com/stories/466/3812142.html
- "James Whalen, pioneer of St. Thomas journalism department, dies," Associated Press, April 8, 2002. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/5586638.htm