UST in the news
Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “Chatham, Robert Morris form program for women entrepreneurs,” Pittsburgh (Pa.) Post-Gazette, Jan. 13, 2006. “The Pittsburgh market is ripe for programs that help women entrepreneurs, said Dr. Riebe, who taught FastTrac at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul , Minn. Dr. Cole agreed, saying women ‘encounter different obstacles than veterans or minority groups.’” Riebe is now director of Pittsburgh-based Chatham College ‘s Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06013/637175.stm
- “Ramsey County events,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 14, 2006. “Science education talk: William Wulf, president of the Washington-based National Academy of Engineering, will talk Thursday about strategies to promote scientific education in the face of declining enrollment in engineering programs nationwide. The free talk, sponsored by the University of St. Thomas, starts at 7 p.m. in O’Shaughnessy Educational Center auditorium, 2115 Summit Ave. A public reception will be at 6 p.m. For reservations, call 651-962-5750 or visit www.stthomas.edu/engineering/events.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/13622819.htm
- “When buying in person or online, shop around – and ask questions,” Star Tribune, Jan. 15, 2006. Consumer columnist Lou Gelfand writes, “Norman Larson of Ellsworth, Wis., is a retired University of St. Thomas journalism professor. He says he searched the Internet for a hotel in Burnsville … . The lesson is this: Whether you’re shopping in person or on the Internet, ‘buyer beware’ is still the best policy.” http://www.startribune.com/113/story/180082.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Jan. 15, 2006. Answers to business-related questions are provided by St. Thomas’ John M. Morrison Center for Entrepreneurship. http://www.startribune.com/535/story/182825.html
- “Letters from readers: The answer to problems at St. Thomas,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 17, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/editorial/letters/13640294.htm
- See also: “St. Thomas committed to Catholic values,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 15, 2006. Executive Vice President Dr. Thomas Rochon wrote this commentary. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/opinion/13621832.htm
- “Education,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 17, 2006. “Five Twin Cities arts professionals will be guest speakers at the University of St. Thomas for "Master’s Degree Preferred: A Symposium on Career Opportunities in the Arts" at 7 p.m. Feb. 23 in Room 155 of Murray-Herrick Campus Center on the university’s St. Paul campus. The symposium is free and open to the public. For more information, call 651-962-5640 or visit www.stthomas.edu/arthistory/graduate. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/13640576.htm
- “College hockey,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 17, 2006. “Augsburg forward Aaron Johnson of Plymouth was chosen men’s player of the week in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, and St. Thomas forward Tanaya Reitz of Moorhead, Minn., was honored as women’s player of the week, the league announced Monday. Johnson had two goals and five assists in two games over the weekend, giving him 7-20—27 to lead MIAC men in scoring. A senior, Reitz had four goals and three assists in two victories, helping boost the Tommies’ record to 70-17-6 since she began playing there as a freshman.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/13641737.htm
- “Letters from readers: Let Minnesota’s immigrants earn legal status,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 15, 2006. School of Law professor Dr. Virgil Wiebe weighs in on the issue. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/editorial/13621831.htm
- “Make tracks for the great indoors,” Star Tribune, Jan. 17, 2006. Here’s a fun indoor workout through the Minneapolis skyway system, including St. Thomas. http://www.startribune.com/1244/story/188586.html
- “Free art show at St. Thomas,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 18, 2006. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/13648508.htm
- “Cross burned at a church in St. Paul ,” Star Tribune, Jan. 19, 2006. “The last noted cross-burning in St. Paul was in 1992, in the yard of a house shared by black students at the University of St. Thomas.” http://www.startribune.com/467/story/191164.html
- “Charley Walters,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 19, 2006. The sports columnist writes, “Bryan Bellows, 27, is in sales for the Minnesota Wild, and wore the same number, 23, as Brian Bellows wore as a North Star. Bryan played hockey at Lakeville and the University of St. Thomas, and yes, is often mistaken for the former North Star when he calls Wild clients. ‘About a minimum of 40 times a day," Bryan said. "And sometimes, people ask me to sign things for them.’” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/special_packages/columnists/13657944.htm
- “Ramsey county events,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 19, 2006. “Science education talk: William Wulf, president of the Washington-based National Academy of Engineering, will talk today about strategies to promote scientific education in the face of declining enrollment in engineering programs nationwide. The free talk, sponsored by the University of St. Thomas, starts at 7 p.m. in O’Shaughnessy Educational Center auditorium, 2115 Summit Ave. A public reception will be at 6 p.m. For reservations, call 651-962-5750 or visit www. stthomas.edu/engineering/events.” http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/13657418.htm
- “Around St. Paul ,” Star Tribune, Jan. 20, 2006. Columnist Joe Kimball writes, “A memorial mass for the late U.S. Sen. Eugene McCarthy will be held at 4 p.m. Tuesday in the Chapel of St. Thomas Aquin as on the St. Paul campus of the University of St. Thomas, where McCarthy taught before entering politics.” http://www.startribune.com/785/story/193881.html
- “Metro people: Dottie Cannon,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 20, 2006. The 2006 Miss Minnesota USA is a St. Thomas alumna. http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/dakota/13667178.htm