Democracy in America is focus of next Great Books Reading Group meeting
Come to the next meeting of the Great Books Reading Group to discuss Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. The group will meet to talk about certain sections of the book from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 14, in Room 388, Owens Science Hall.
Democracy in America is a study written by a French aristocrat, Alexis de Tocqueville, in the 1830s. The group will discuss the introduction to Volume 1 and selected chapters:
- The Power of the Majority
- Why Americans Are Often so Restless
- How Industry Could Give Rise to an Aristocracy
- Why Great Revolutions Will Become Rare
- Any other chapters of interest
Each month the group reads a book and discusses it; neighbors and members of the St. Thomas community are welcome to join.
Refreshments will be served.
For more information, contact Thomas Tommet, (651) 962-5211.