The U.S. State Department has issued a Travel Warning, pointing out that violence has increased recently in Mexico, and particularly near the U. S. border.
The Travel Warning was issued March 14 and supersedes the State Department’s Feb. 22 Travel Alert. The warning describes recent violence in Mexico and provides guidance and additional information concerning travel there.
For more specific information on the alert and travel resources click on the links below:
- Travel Alert information from the U.S. State Department
- Additional information specifically regarding spring break in Mexico
- Report from the Overseas Security Advisory Council
In addition, any student who is considering doing any traveling over spring break can reduce potential risk to personal health and safety by taking the following precautions:
- Stay in well-known tourist areas of cities.
- Leave behind a complete itinerary with a friend or family member.
- Avoid traveling alone.
- Check in advance with your cellular provider to confirm that your cell phone is capable of roaming on GSM or 3G international networks.
- Do not display large amounts of money or valuable jewelry.
Have a safe and enjoyable spring break.