For over 30 years, Bob Bach has been engaged in precision manufacturing in the Twin Cities. His experience as an educator includes developing and instructing customized courses for many Minnesota companies.
As a Tool Process Engineer with Honeywell, Bob gained experience in tool design and estimating, CAD/CAM, metal stamping, precision grinding and machining, plastic molding, die casting, heat treating, laser cutting, metrology, ISO standards, GD&T, automation tooling, prototype and model making, Six-Sigma, Lean, and served as the Tool and Die Apprentice Education Chair.
At St. Jude Medical, Bob was a senior manufacturing engineer working on design-to-production transfer for medical devices including tissue heart valves, ablation catheters, pacing leads, and optical devices that can see and measure coronary arteries. He is also a member of Dunwoody’s Alumni Board of Managers and is active in community service.
Personal interests include music, art, history, hiking, biking, skiing, and trout fishing.
Education & Credentials
- Licensed Professional Mechanical Engineer, State of Minnesota
- Master of Science in Manufacturing Systems, University of St. Thomas
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Heat Transfer), University of Minnesota
- Master Journeyman Toolmaker (Honeywell & State of MN apprenticeship)
- Dunwoody Institute, Tool & Die Program
Experience as an Educator
University of St. Thomas:
- 7 years providing individual assistance to engineering students in building prototypes for senior design projects, and other undergraduate lab work including ENGR 320 Machine Design, Engineers for a Sustainable World, and ENGR 150 Intro to Engineering.
- Engineering Lab Practices for engineers and technicians at Minnetronix, Inc. St. Paul, MN
- Safety Awareness training, Minnetronix, Inc.
Anoka Ramsey Community College:
- Process Validation for the Medical Device Industry
Saint Paul College:
- Applied Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) for design engineers, National Oilwell-Varco (formerly American Hoist) St. Paul, MN design center. Large and complex lifting & mooring systems for the international offshore oil industry.
- Individualized training on tool and fixture making, Medallion Cabinets maintenance team, Waconia, MN.
- Interpreting Engineering Drawings for inspectors and support staff at National Oilwell-Varco St. Paul, MN.
- Advanced Machine Tool Technology for Remmele Engineering, Inc. (specializes in high precision aerospace, medical device, and defense contract machining).
- Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machining and programming basics for Remmele, Inc.
Dunwoody College of Technology:
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) for design, manufacturing, and quality engineers & technicians, ev3, Inc. Plymouth, MN. Medical devices (endovascular devices, including stents, guidewires, and catheters).
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) for the design and quality engineering groups, Minco, Inc. (Fridley, MN). Manufacturer of custom flexible heaters, flex circuits, and thermal sensors.
- Basic Printreading, Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T), and Measurement Tools, at Tennant Company, Golden Valley, MN facility.
- Three years instructing the hands-on lab class for Dunwoody tool & die students. Machining process demos and individual assistance. Revised curriculum.
- Developed new curriculum and instructed 'Level 1 Machinist' 5-month course per National Institute of Machining Skills standards (NIMS). Course included math/trig, material science, print reading, tool geometry, and operation of precision machine tools.
- Revised and instructed basic shop skills course for the Welding and Automated Packaging Machine Program students (day school).
Dunwoody’s Customized Training Dept. (wrote curriculum per customer needs and presented at customer site):
- Machining and Shop Safety for engineers and technicians at Turck,Inc. in Plymouth, MN (have taught this class 7 times in past 10 years).
- Plastics and The Manufacturing Process for Manhattan Toy Company in downtown Mpls. Presented to toy designers, marketers, VP of Operations.
- Understanding and Applying the Metric System for Remmele Engineering’s apprentices at Remmele’s Big Lake, MN facility.
- Tool and Cutter Grinding for Tennant Company’s Maple Grove plant (classroom and machine operation).
- Shop safety and basic machining for engineers, technicians, and machinists at Cummins, Inc. (Onan) Fridley plant.
- Lockout – Tagout procedures and Press Brake Safety, Cummins (Onan) Corporation, Fridley.
- Basic Machining and Safety for service technicians at Golden Valley Microwave Foods (Edina).
- Detailed Screw Threads, Machining Speeds & Feeds at Tol-O-Matic in Hamel.