2115 Summit Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55105
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering - The University of Texas at Austin
- B.S. Chemical Engineering - Iowa State University
- University of St. Thomas - St. Paul, Minnesota School of Engineering Dean (2008 - present) Professor (2008-present)
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology - Socorro, New Mexico Department of Chemical Engineering Professor & Chair (2006-2008) Assoc. Professor (2001-2006) Asst. Professor (1996-2001)
- Centro de Investigacion en Quimica Aplicada - Saltillo, Mexico CONACYT-Foreign Scholar Department of Polymer Processing (1995-96)
- Shell Oil Company - Houston, Texas Research Engineer - Shell Chemical Westhollow Technology Center (1991-96)
- The University of Texas at Austin - Austin, Texas Phillips Petroleum Polymer Research Fellow Department of Chemical Engineering (1989-91)
- New Mexico Tech President's Outstanding Leadership Award 2006
- Camille & Henry Dreyfus Foundation - Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar 2005
- New Mexico Tech Distinguished Teaching Award for 2001
Since 2008, Dr. Don Weinkauf has served as the Dean of Engineering at the University of St Thomas in St. Paul. From 1996-2008, Dr. Weinkauf was Professor of Chemical Engineering at New Mexico Tech in Socorro, New Mexico. He has been honored nationally for his teaching and research as a Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar. Prior to his career in academia, Dr. Weinkauf worked for Shell Oil Company as a Research Engineer. He has also worked as a Foreign Scholar for the Mexican government CONACYT. He is the author of over forty papers and book chapters. His research in polymer materials and plastics processing has been cited over 800 times in the literature. He is the inventor on 3 U.S. Patents and has been the Principal Investigator on over 5 million dollars in federal, state and corporate research grants. He holds a PhD from the University of Texas at Austin and a BS from Iowa State University both in Chemical Engineering. Dr. Weinkauf is a native of Wisconsin, and lives with his wife and three children in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Polymer materials. Conformal plasma surface modification. Transport & barrier properties of polymers. Plastics processing. Engineering Education. Renewable Energy & Sustainability.
- D.H. Weinkauf and C.E. Ash, "Method of Compatibilization for Polyketone-Epoxy Systems" U.S. Patent 5,405,700, (Shell Oil Company), 1995.
- D.H. Weinkauf, "Composite Systems of Polyketone and Aminated Polyolefins" U.S. Patent 5,369,170, (Shell Oil Company), 1994.
- D.H. Weinkauf and A.M. Chatterjee - "Polyketone Containing Graphite Nucleating Agent" U.S. Patent 5,266,629, (Shell Oil Company), 1993.
Papers and National Presentations
- K. Loganathan, D. Bose, and D. Weinkauf, “Surface modification of carbon black by nitrogen and allylamine plasma treatment for fuel cell electrocatalyst” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol 39 (2014), 15766-15771.
- E. Hernandez-Hernandez, M. G. Neira-Velazquez, L. F. Ramos-de Valle, A. Ponce, and D. H. Weinkauf ,“Changing the surface characteristics of carbon nanofibers (CNF) from hydrophobic to hydrophilic via plasma polymerization with acrylic acid”, Journal of Nano Research Vol 9 (2010), pp 45-53.
- Z. Tang, J. Monroe, J. Dong, T. Nenoff, D.H. Weinkauf, “Platinum-Loaded NaY Zeolite for Aqueous-Phase Reforming of Methanol and Ethanol to Hydrogen”, J. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 48 (5), 2728-2733 (2009).
- D. H. Weinkauf and M.A. Hickner,“Plasma surface modification of carbon catalyst support systems for enhanced PEM fuel cell performance”, Division of Fuel Chemistry, Fuel Cell Technology: Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Systems, ACS National Meeting, Boston (2007)
- D. H. Weinkauf, J.F. Bian, W.R. Lujan, H.S. Jeon "Conformal plasma polymer particle coatings for the control of highly filled polymer composite rheology", Paper #282, Polymer Chemistry Division, ACS National Meeting, Washington DC (2005).
- J.F. Bian, W. R. Lujan, D. Harper-Nixon, H. S. Jeon, and D. H. Weinkauf, "Effect of hexafluoropropylene oxide plasma polymer particle coatings on the rheological properties of boron nitride / poly(dimethyl siloxane) composites" Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol 290 (2005), 582-591.
- C. Zhang , J. Wyatt, S.P. Russell and D. H. Weinkauf, "Methanol vapor sorption in plasma polymer thin films," Polymer Vol. 45 (2004), 7655-7663.
- C. Zhang , J. Wyatt, and D. H. Weinkauf , " Carbon dioxide sorption in conventional and plasma polymerized methyl methacrylate thin films," Polymer Vol 45 (2004), 7665-7671.
- H. S. Jeon , J. Wyatt, D. Harper-Nixon, and D. H. Weinkauf , "Characterization of thin polymer films formed by plasma polymerization of MMA: A neutron reflectivity study," Journal of Polymer Science Polymer Physics, Vol. 42 (2004), 2522-2530..
- W. R. Lujan, “Synthesis and characterization of plasma perfluorosulfonic acid electrolytes for proton exchange membranes,” (D.H. Weinkauf Advisor), AIChE Rocky Mountain Regional AIChE Conference, Provo, Utah (2004). ** First Place Award – Invited to National AIChE Paper Contest Fall 2004.
- J. F. Bian, D. H. Weinkauf, and H. S. Jeon, “Viscoelastic behavior of PDMS filled with boron nitride,” Session B30 - Polymer-Inorganic Nanoparticle Composites - II. - American Physical Society March Meeting, Montreal (2004).
- F. F. Stewart, C.J Orme, M. K. Harrup, R. P. Lash, D. H. Weinkauf, and J. D. McCoy “Membrane Separations Using Functionalized Polyphosphazene Materials,” Chapter 12 in Advanced Materials for Membrane Separations, I. Pinnau and B.D. Freeman Eds., ACS Symposium Series 876, Oxford Press 2004.
- W. R. Lujan and D. H. Weinkauf, "Plasma polymer thin film electrolyte materials for proton exchange membranes," Paper#172b AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco (2003).
- C. Zhang, B.P. Cappleman, and D. H. Weinkauf, "Physical aging and conditioning effects in polysulfone thin films measured using a quartz crystal microbalance," Paper#380e AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco (2003).
- C. Zhang, B.P. Cappleman, M. Defibaugh-Chavez, and D. H. Weinkauf, "Glassy polymer sorption phenomena measured using a quartz crystal microbalance technique", Journal of Polymer Science Polymer Physics, Vol. 41 (2003), pp. 2109-2118.
- J. K. Rameshwaram, H. S. Jeon, and D. H. Weinkauf, "Characterization of polyisoprene–clay nanocomposites prepared by solution blending", Polymer, Volume 44 (2003), pp. 5749-5758.
- A. Pandey, M.N. Wimberly, and D. H. Weinkauf, "Gas transport properties of SiOx plasma polymer thin films", Paper #492, PMSE Division, ACS National Meeting, New York (2003).
- J. K. Rameshwaram, D. H. Weinkauf, and H. S. Jeon, "Viscoelastic properties of exfoliated polymer/clay nanocomposites", Paper #249, PMSE Division, ACS National Meeting, New York (2003).
- C. Zhang, M. Defibaugh-Chavez, and D. H. Weinkauf, "Temperature dependence of vapor sorption phenomena in plasma polymerized thin films", Paper #191f, AIChE Annual Meeting, Indianapolis (2002).
- D. Harper-Nixon and D. H. Weinkauf, "Plasma polymerized conformal coatings with nucleophilic functionality", Paper #120, Chemical Education Division, ACS National Meeting, Boston (2002) (Undergraduate Research Poster Session: Polymer Chemistry).
- C. Zhang, J. Wyatt, and D. H. Weinkauf, "Analogous-sorption phenomena in plasma and conventionally polymerized microsensor films", Paper #268, Polymer Chemistry Division, ACS National Meeting, Boston (2002).
- D.H. Weinkauf,D. Harper-Nixon, J. Wyatt, and H. S. Jeon, "Particle surface modification with conformal, plasma polymer coatings", Paper #49, IEC Division, ACS National Meeting, Boston (2002).
- K. S. Houston, D. H. Weinkauf, and F. F. Stewart “Gas transport characteristics of plasma treated poly(dimethyl siloxane) and polyphosphazene membrane materials,” Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 205 (1-2) (2002) pp. 103-112.
- C. J. Orme, M. K. Harrup, J.D. McCoy, D. H. Weinkauf, and F. F. Stewart “Pervaporation of water-dye, and water-alcohol mixtures using a polyphosphazene membrane” Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 197, 89-101 (2002).
- C. J. Orme, M. K. Harrup, T. A. Luther, R. P. Lash, K. S. Houston, D. H. Weinkauf, and F. F. Stewart “Characterization of Gas Transport in Selected Rubbery Amorphous Polyphosphazene Membranes,” Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 186, 249-57 (2001).
- S. P. Russell and D. H. Weinkauf, “Sorption of Organic Vapors in Plasma-Polymerized Vinyl Acetate and Methyl Methacrylate Thin Films,” Polymer, Vol. 42 (7), 2827-36 (2001).
- D.H. Weinkauf, “Liquid Crystalline Polymers: Diffusion”, Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology (Ed. Alan Windle), Vol. 5 , Liquid Crystalline Polymers: Diffusion, Volume 5, pp. 4520-4524, Elsevier Press (2001).
- D.H.Weinkauf and S.P. Russell, "Vapor Sorption Mechanisms in Plasma Polymerized Thin-Film Sensor Materials," ACS Proceedings - Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering, Vol. 83, 535 (2000).
- R.T. Paine, E.A. Pruss, W.J. Kroenke, G.L. Wood, S.M. George, J.W. Ferguson, A.W. Weimer, D. H. Weinkauf and D. Harper, "Development of Ceramic Fillers for Polymer Composites" ICCI-VIII: Eighth International Conference on Composite Interfaces Cleveland, OH October 2000.
- D.H. Weinkauf, "Plasma Polymer Membrane Materials for Gas and Vapor Separations," Ravello Conference on New Frontiers for Catalytic Membrane Reactors and Other Membrane Systems (European Research Conference), Ravello, Italy (1999).
- J. Budzien, J. McCoy, D. H. Weinkauf, R. Violette, and E. Peterson, "The Solubility of Gases in Amorphous Polyethylene," Macromolecules , Vol 31 (10) 3368 (1998).
- C.E. Ash and D. H. Weinkauf , "Bonding Aliphatic Polyketone Polymers to Incompatible Polyolefin Polymers, Research Disclosure, No. 393, 10-13 (1997).
- D. H. Weinkauf, C.E. Ash, P.A. Kinneberg, "The Chemical Resistance and Barrier Properties of Aliphatic Polyketones," SPE ANTEC Proceedings, Vol. 41, 2340-44(1995).
- D. H. Weinkauf and D.R. Paul, "Gas Transport Properties of Liquid Crystalline Polymers," Chapter 19 in Liquid Crystalline Polymers, R.A. Carfagna Ed., Permagon Press Ltd., Oxford 1994.
- D. H. Weinkauf , D.R. Paul, and H.D. Kim, "Gas Transport Properties of Liquid Crystalline Poly(p-phenylene terephthalamide)," Macromolecules, Vol. 25, 788-796 (1992).
- D. H. Weinkauf and D. R. Paul, "Gas Transport Properties of Thermotropic Liquid Crystalline Copolyesters. I. The Effects of Orientation and Annealing," Journal of Polymer Science: Polymer Physics, Vol. 30, 817-835 (1992).
- D.H. Weinkauf and D.R. Paul, "Gas transport properties of thermotropic liquid crystalline copolyesters. II. The effects of copolymer composition," Journal of Polymer Science: Polymer Physics, Vol. 30, 837-849 (1992).
- D.H. Weinkauf and D.R. Paul, "Gas transport properties of liquid crystalline poly(ethylene terephthalate-co-p-oxybenzoate)," Journal of Polymer Science: Polymer Physics, Vol. 29, 329-340 (1991).
- D.H. Weinkauf and D.R. Paul, "The Effects of Structural Order on Barrier Properties," Chapter 3 in Barrier Polymers and Structures, W.J. Koros Ed., ACS Symposium Series 423 Oxford Press 1990.
Spring 2017 Courses
|Course - Section||Title||Days||Time||Location|
Summer 2017 Courses
|Course - Section||Title||Days||Time||Location|
Fall 2017 Courses
|Course - Section||Title||Days||Time||Location|