Effectively speak on the spot
Knowing how to communicate effectively is essential for employees in all areas and levels. The amount of information one must respond to each day can be overwhelming and an obstacle in efficiency and productivity.
Between email, meetings and office conversations, we all have various impromptu situations requiring a clear message. Individuals who are able to effectively speak on the spot will be at a significant competitive advantage in the marketplace. Take the steps to improve your ability.
Clarity, Candor and Credibility
Learn how Aristotle’s Rhetoric –clarity, candor and credibility can aid in framing your every-day communication. Practice everything from structuring ideas to making a point and proving it, to responding to difficult situations persuasively. After this session, you will be able to:
- Speak confidently in difficult situations and convincingly sell a product, service or idea.
- Organize your thoughts and ideas to clearly deliver extemporaneous presentations in a persuasive manner.
- Use interesting and relevant examples to story-tell and drive your point across.
- Explain and present technical information in a simple and understandable way.
Shaping mutually beneficial transactions between individuals and organizations requires a complex set of skills. More specifically, today’s leaders must be adept at influencing others and subscribe to their vision. This isn’t an easy task, and yet, it is an essential skill for those who wish to truly make a positive impact on the organizations they serve. By the end of this session, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate credibility and build trust by being thoroughly prepared and committed to understanding the client’s concerns and issues.
- Develop the core competencies necessary to lead high-level discussions: listening, probing, surfacing issues, clarifying for understanding, and forging agreements.
Get your message across the first time
Being an influential employee makes you and your company more valuable. Knowing how to communicate effectively is an invaluable skill that translates across all industries. The skills learned in this program will stay with you throughout your career. Whether you are a Mid-Level Manager, an Entry-Level worker, or a C-Suite Executive, influential communication skills will benefit you and those around you.
Common program participant titles and job functions may include, but are not limited to:
- Operations Manager
- Office Manager
- General Manager
- Sales Manager
- Marketing Director
- Marketing Manager
- Customer Service Manager
- Brand Manager
- Project Manager
- Business Consultant
- Business Analyst
- Management Analyst
- Entrepreneurs and business owners
- Individuals looking to advance in their careers or those making a career change
Our instructors are known for their real-world experience as well as expertise in developing educational opportunities for adult learners.
Michael Foley is the founder of Clarity Central, a consulting firm based in Minneapolis specializing in communications skills and interpersonal effectiveness. His ability to connect with an audience by sharing insights and humorous stories has been at the core of his success as a corporate trainer and keynote speaker.
Prior to founding Clarity Central, Michael excelled as a major account manager for General Electric and Ameritech. As a result, he has developed talks and courses that are hard hitting, applicable and powerful. His "zero fluff" approach to education is highly engaging for even the toughest of audiences.
Michael holds a BS in Engineering, an MA in Human Development, and is pursuing an MBA at Northwestern University. He has been recognized by the National Speakers Association as a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP), the highest earned international recognition for professional speakers.
Scott Nelson is a leadership coach, corporate trainer and senior partner at Clarity Central. His emotional intelligence, authentic feedback and ability to teach personal awareness have been integral in his success. He graduated with a B.B.A. degree from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and has done post graduate work in ontology.
Scott started his career as a sales manager in addition to keynote speaking on effective communication. He then began working at Mayo Clinic as a conflict resolution mediator for patients and physicians. His leadership coaching career began in 2005 when he graduated from the Ideal Coaching Academy as a certified effectiveness coach.
Scott’s experience spans internationally and involves several industries as well as many different organizational and personality types. He has worked with people of incredibly varied backgrounds, from Maasai tribes in Tanzania, to executive leaders in corporate America, to staff in local high schools.
Invest in your Future Success
Why Influential Communication?
Upon completion of this program, you’ll do your Monday smarter with:
- Confidence. Spend two days practicing every-day conversations using tried and true communication techniques so that these ideas come naturally when returning to work.
- The ability to build trust and influence colleagues, supervisors and clients by presenting your ideas in a clear and concise manner.
- Tools to aid in every-day situations such as leading a high level meeting, managing difficult conversations and anytime you need to speak on the spot.
Additional Program Details
- Cost includes tuition, learning materials and refreshments.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are non-credit educational experiences; one CEU is equivalent to 10 contact hours of study.
- Program sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus. Parking is available within one block.
- There are no prerequisites for this program.
Choose us for a smart, practical and personalized experience.
At St. Thomas Executive Education you will:
- Gain practical tools from experienced faculty
- Learn current, real-world skills you can apply on Monday (and every day)
- Network with other professionals working in business
- Have a personalized experience from program exploration to successful completion
All of this leads to a smart, practical and personalized experience to gain confidence and excel in your career. With over 30 open enrollment programs, we can help you dive into a specific topic area, understand business terminology and further develop your leadership and management skills.