Certified Professional Project Manager
Become a top-notch project management professional
Successful project managers constantly seek out the most effective project management tools, practices, and methods. Obtaining St. Thomas’ Certified Professional Project Manager (CPPM) designation will give you an edge over the competition. With hands-on experience in your toolkit, you’ll be able to immediately apply your newfound knowledge in your everyday activities.
The CPPM program gives you a solid foundation in the skills you’ll need to be a successful project manager:
Developing strong interpersonal and communication skills to influence and lead project teams
Applying a broad range of estimating tools and practices to successfully manage projects within scope from initiation to closure
Enhancing your project management outcomes by effectively utilizing the top PMI global standards
Learn effective project management skills and principles
Project managers often struggle to align project deliverables with their organization’s strategic plan, vision and mission. The Certified Professional Project Manager (CPPM) program builds your leadership and decision-making skills while exploring the best practices and tools for effective project management.
Here are some of the topics covered:
Project initiation including clearly defining project outcomes, assessing project feasibility, identifying stakeholders, conducting a SWOT analysis and creating a project charter
Project planning skills such as crafting a problem statement, risk management plan, CPM and PERT network diagrams, Gantt charts, and a budget
Navigating the stages of team development, conflict resolution and group dynamics management
- Project control, closure, and finalization including how to conduct a successful project audit and the best ways to communicate the results throughout the organization
This certification program includes a group exam to demonstrate understanding and competency of the topics.
Anyone who currently manages projects, products, programs or processes will benefit from the project management skills covered in the CPPM program.
Participant titles/job functions may include, but are not limited to:
Quality improvement Specialist
Marketing Communications Specialist
Marketing Communications Managers
Anyone looking to change careers or enhance their existing skillset
Are you wondering if other Executive Education Project Management programs are a better fit for you and your career goals? Contact Karen Locke by using the form to the right (or below on mobile) to learn more.
Who Completes the Certified Professional Project Manager program?
Hi, my name is Matissa, and I was encouraged to enroll for the Certified Professional Project Manager program offered by Executive Education by my director. Currently, I’m a Financial Analyst for the City of Minneapolis, but my daily work functions resemble to that of a Project coordinator/manager.
The CPPM program has given me a common ground with my fellow project management team members, and improved communication with my project stakeholders. Learning and understanding terms like scope, risk, and feasibility analysis have allowed me to make better informed decisions, offer better advice and opinions on projects, and made me a value-adding resource to my organization.
The instructor of this program really aided in my learning experience by bringing his technical background to the class, but also emphasizing the importance of soft skills. He was able to use real-world examples that are applicable in today’s workplace. Even though I already have an MBA, I found that this program challenged my interpersonal, leadership and project management skills. With this newfound knowledge, I have decided to make a career change, and have recently accepted an Investment Operations Analyst role for a private equity firm.
Learn from our top-notch faculty with industry experience
Ernest L. Owens Jr., Ed.D., M.B.A., C.P.M., P.M.P.
Ernie Owens consults with industry leaders and nonprofits in the areas of project management and strategic planning. His 22 years of industry experience include roles as Director of Strategic Planning at Unisys, cost engineer at IBM, and industrial engineer at Johnson and Johnson. Dr. Owens is full-time tenured and lead faculty for project management at the University of St. Thomas for the College of Business in the Leadership and Management Program. He teaches Organizing Capabilities in the Executive MBA. He also teaches Strategic, Operations, and Project Management in the MBA and undergraduate programs. Dr. Owens has also served as the chair of the Minnesota Governor's Workforce Development Council for six years. Dr. Owens holds a doctorate in leadership from the University of St. Thomas. His research interests include project management and service learning.
Wayne Kaul, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP
Wayne Kaul is an adjunct faculty member within the Executive Education Department of the Opus College of Business at the University of St. Thomas. He draws on more than 35 years of experience in corporate leadership, systems development, project management, education, and consulting.
Kaul's professional experience includes positions in engineering, research & development, and information technology. He has expertise in planning, managing and directing global IT projects, as well as IT financial management and vendor management practices. He holds two United States patent awards as a result of his work in engineering and product development.
His experience as an instructor/lecturer includes courses in project management, operations management, Lean Six Sigma, strategic management and business policy. He is a certified Project Management Professional (PMP) and an Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) through the internationally-recognized Project Management Institute.
Invest in your career - Gain a strong ROI
Why Choose Certified Professional Project Manager (CPPM)?
- Learn Project Management Leadership Skills. Demonstrate your project management leadership by successfully navigating your project from initiation to closure the moment you walk away from this program.
- Choose the Right Approach. What is waterfall versus agile? You need to be able to choose the right approach based on project needs. With an understanding of traditional practices you will have the ability to determine which projects are best served using the waterfall method.
- Drive Project Success. You’ll return to work with the skills needed to improve project success and drive innovation. These skills are discussed and practiced in the classroom environment and can be applied to your projects immediately.
- Earn a Certification. By successfully completing this program you will earn the CPPM (Certified Professional Project Manager) certification through the University of St. Thomas. This certification will add credibility to your experience and demonstrate ability in waterfall methodology to current and future employers.
- Take Steps Toward PMP® Designation. Earn 35 contact hours of REP (Registered Education Provider) training required for Project Management Practitioner designation through the Project Management Institute (PMI)®.
- Earn PDU credits to maintain PMI certifications. Already hold the PMP® or other PMI® credentials? Earn 35 PDUs through this program.
Additional Program Details:
- Cost includes tuition, learning materials and refreshments.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are non-credit educational experiences; one CEU is equivalent to 10 contact hours of study and will be noted on your completion certificate.
- Program sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus. Parking is available within one block.
- There are no prerequisites for this program.
PMI® Certification Holders or Seekers:
- This program has been approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI®) for the 35 contact hours required to sit for the PMP® exam. 35 Hours of educational training is required to sit for the PMP® exam.
- If you currently hold a PMI certification, this program counts as 35 PDUs for maintaining your credentials.
PMI® and PMP® are registered marks of Project Management Institute, Inc.
At St. Thomas Executive Education you will:
- Gain practical tools from experienced faculty
- Learn current, real-world skills you can apply on Monday (and every day)
- Network with other professionals working in business
- Have a personalized experience from program exploration to successful completion
All of this leads to a smart, practical and personalized experience to gain confidence and excel in your career. With over 30 open enrollment programs, we can help you dive into a specific topic area, understand business terminology and further develop your leadership and management skills.