Travel Reimbursement Policies
The following policies apply to all travel-related reimbursements provided by the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, including the Conference Travel Grant, Research Travel Grant, and Graduate Team Grant programs.
- Conference Travel Grants and Research Travel Grants are only available to degree-seeking student undergraduate students at UST.
- Reimbursement for travel expenses may also be provided to graduate students who have received Graduate Research Team Grants, if that funding has been included in the grant's budget.
- In general, your travel must take place while you are enrolled at UST. The only exception is recent graduates (these students may receive Conference Travel Grants to present their research within three months of graduation).
- To be eligible for a Conference Travel Grant within three months of graduation, the focus of your scholarly presentation must be research that you carried out while enrolled at UST.
- If you are not graduating immediately, and travelling in the summer, you must indicate your intention to return to UST in the fall semester following your travel.
- If you are not in compliance with this or any other Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program grant program (for example, if you have not turned in a paper produced with the assistance of an earlier research grant) you are not eligible to receive funding from this office.
- Conference Travel Grant and Research Travel Grant applications must be submitted AT LEAST 14 DAYS in advance of departure.
- Reimbursement paperwork is due within 28 days of your return.
- There are no exceptions to these deadlines; applications arriving in less than 14 days of departure will be denied, and reimbursement paperwork submitted after 28 days will not be reimbursed.
- Students may be supported for more than one trip per academic year, but in no case will a student receive more than $750 from any one travel grant program in one academic year.
- The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program does not reimburse any alcohol-related expenses, even for undergraduate or graduate students who are legally of age to drink alcohol.
- Rental of a vehicle is absolutely forbidden unless you receive written permission to do so from the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program prior to your departure. In most cases, rental of a car is not necessary.
- UROP grants are intended to pay for regular meals only. Costs relating to snacks/candy, "grazing," late-night outings, and coffee breaks will not be reimbursed.
- When requesting reimbursement for meals, Conference Travel Grant and Research Travel Grant recipients will be reimbursed no more than $10 for breakfast, $15 for lunch, and $20 for dinner. Graduate Research Team Grant participants will be reimbursed according to the budget they provide before travel.
- Food or drink ordered through room service will not be reimbursed.
- UROP grants will only pay for essential expenses related exclusively to travel.
- Conference Travel Grants cannot be used to present material that has already been presented at another conference.
Recipients of travel grants are strongly encouraged to pay for all of their travel on their own and then seek reimbursement (based on receipts) upon their return to the Twin Cities. Students for whom this would be a financial hardship may ask their sponsoring department (the department where their sponsoring faculty member resides) to pay in advance for airfare and conference registration only. All remaining travel costs (hotel, ground transportation, meals, etc.) will have to be paid by the grant recipient and then reimbursed upon their return to the Twin Cities.
If you still expect this to be a financial hardship, please contact Laura Bru at 651-962-6033 or email@example.com for suggestions about how you may be able to still make your trip possible. Keep in mind that you will need prior approval from the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program to be reimbursed for any receipts that are not in your name (for example, if someone other than you is paying for your flight or hotel on their credit card), so ensure that you contact us BEFORE YOU GO, or those expenses will not be reimbursed. Also keep in mind that due to university policy, we are unable to provide students with any form of cash advance to cover meals or incidentals. The total costs (expenses paid by the department + expenses paid directly by the student) must not exceed the total value of the travel award.