Other Approved Summer Programs
We partner with a number of approved study abroad providers in order to offer an exceptionally wide range of options – there is truly an opportunity for every major. We partner with a number of approved study abroad providers in order to offer an exceptionally wide range of options – there is truly an opportunity for every major. These Other Approved programs have been thoroughly reviewed by the University to ensure academic rigor, excellent onsite support, and high standards for health and safety.
1. Attend a First Step Session. While our office is closed to the public, you can watch a First Step Session online.
2. Schedule an appointment with a Study Abroad Advisor. During your advising appointment, a Study Abroad Advisor will review any questions you have, talk about program selection, getting courses approved, and the application process. Meeting with an advisor is required in order to apply to a semester, year-long or summer program through one of our other approved programs.
We are currently offering Zoom advising appointments for students interested in semester, summer, or academic year programs. Schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Resources section of our OneSt.Thomas site.
3. Select a program and notify advisor of program selection (if you did not do so during advising session). An online St. Thomas Study Abroad application will be created for you.
4. Complete St. Thomas Study Abroad application on the Office of Study Abroad website.
5. Complete Other Approved Program application via approved organization website.
6. Final application deadline: March 15, or the approved program organization deadline, whichever is earlier.
7. Students must be approved to study abroad by both St. Thomas and the approved organization.
Many other approved January term programs have been pre-approved by academic departments to fulfill course requirements. To view these options, search the Course Approval Database and filter by short-term. If the course is not listed, you may seek approval from the appropriate department with a Course Approval Form from the Office of Study Abroad.
Off-Campus Study Fee
All students who study off-campus during January Term will be charged a $284.50 Off-Campus Study Fee. The fee, along with the program fee, will be reflected on your student account prior to your program. This fee supports the administration on the University of St. Thomas campus of the program in which you will be participating off-campus.
The approved organization will bill St. Thomas for program costs. Charges will be posted to your St. Thomas account. Balance is due following the normal on campus billing calendar.
Visit stthomas.edu/businessoffice for the billing calendar dates. Application fees and confirming deposits must be paid directly to the approved organization; these fees cannot be posted to student accounts.
Steps to Cancel Your Program:
1. Cancel through your program by contacting the approved program organization directly.
2. Cancel through St. Thomas Study Abroad by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org from your St. Thomas e-mail account.
3. You are subject to the cancellation policies of both the approved organization and St. Thomas Study Abroad.
Other Approved Program Cancellation Policy
View your approved program organization’s website and/or contact the approved program organization directly.
St. Thomas Study Abroad Cancellation Policy
You will be charged a cancellation fee equivalent of the Off-Campus Study Fee ($284.50) if you advise St. Thomas you are not participating in the program after the following dates:
December 1 for January Term and Spring programs
May 1 for Summer programs
August 1 for Fall programs