Student Diversity & Inclusion Services is established to provide a safe place for people of all sexual orientations and gender identity to meet, offer opportunities to learn, teach and discuss the challenges surrounding sexual orientation and gender identity within the Catholic social teachings.
Catholic Social Teaching
A main theme of Catholic Social Teaching is the inherent value, worth and dignity of each of God’s human beings:
“Catholic social teaching believes that human beings, created in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26-27), have by their very existence an inherent value, worth, and distinction. This means that God is present in every person, regardless of his or her race, nation, sex, origin, orientation, culture, or economic standing. Catholic Social Teaching asserts that all human beings must see within every person both a reflection of God and a mirror of themselves, and must honor and respect this dignity as a divine gift.”
– Fr. Dan Groody, C.S.C, “Globalization, Spirituality and Justice,” p.109.
Catholic social teaching emphasizes the importance of solidarity:
“We are all one family in the world. Building a community that empowers everyone to attain their full potential through each of us respecting each other’s dignity, rights and responsibilities makes the world a better place to live.”
Solicitudo rei socialis – ‘On Social Concern’ (1987)
The US Catholic bishops urge Catholics to avoid stereotyping and condemning. Strive first to listen (USCCB pastoral letter, “Always Our Children,” 1997).
- Faith and reason: We actively engage Catholic intellectual tradition, which values the fundamental compatibility of faith and reason and fosters meaningful dialogue directed toward the flourishing of human culture.
- Dignity: We respect the dignity of each person and value the unique contributions that each brings to the greater mosaic of the university community.
- Diversity: We strive to create a vibrant diverse community in which, together, we work for a more just and inclusive society.
- Personal attention: We foster a caring culture that supports the well-being of each member.
Letter by Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Sullivan
University of St. Thomas Allies - an ad hoc committee formed on campus comprised of faculty, staff and students dedicated to improving the climate for LGBTQ persons, with support from the Office of the President/Affirmative Action, the Luann Dummer Center for Women, the Office of Student Affairs, the University Advocates for Women and Equity, and the Office of Institutional Diversity.
Pride Institute - Creating a Haealthy LGBT Community
Avenues For Youth - GLBT Host Home Program of Avenues for Homeless Youth
PFund - Advancing social justice for LGBT communities in the Upper Midwest
Minnesota Transgender Health Coalition - Focusing upon trans health issues in the local community.
Cafe' Southside - Organic cafe owned by the director of the MN Trans Health Coalition that doulbes as a safe space for the trans community.