New Vision Statement
A new vision statement that articulates the university’s aspirations guides the strategic plan. The statement says:
“The University of St. Thomas, a Catholic comprehensive urban university, is known nationally for academic excellence that prepares students for the complexities of the contemporary world. Through disciplinary and interdisciplinary inquiry and deep intercultural understanding, we inspire students to lead, work and serve with the skill and empathy vital to creating a better world.”
The strategic plan is grounded in our identity as a Catholic university, and we proudly affirm our mission statement, adopted in 2004:
“Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good.”
We also affirm our seven convictions:
- Pursuit of truth: We value intellectual inquiry as a lifelong habit, the unfettered and impartial pursuit of truth in all its forms, the integration of knowledge across disciplines, and the imaginative and creative exploration of new ideas.
- Academic excellence: We create a culture among faculty, students and staff that recognizes the power of ideas and rewards rigorous thinking.
- Faith and reason: We actively engage Catholic intellectual tradition, which values the fundamental compatibility of faith and reason and fosters meaningful dialogue directed toward the flourishing of human culture.
- Dignity: We respect the dignity of each person and value the unique contributions each brings to the greater mosaic of the university community.
- Diversity: We strive to create a vibrant, diverse community in which, together, we work for a more just and inclusive society.
- Personal attention: We foster a caring culture that supports the well-being of each member.
- Gratitude: We celebrate the achievements of all members of our community in goals attained and obstacles overcome, and in all things give praise to God.