Northfield Middle School
Position Title: Tackling Obstacles and Raising College Hopes (TORCH) Coordinator at Northfield Middle School
Job Summary: The TORCH Middle School Coordinator is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of systems and programs that support middle school TORCH students with their academic success and school engagement in preparation for high school.
• Track student progress and conduct individual academic counseling sessions with each TORCH student at least twice per month.
• Work with each student to create an individual plan that identifies areas of need, interventions, goals, and college aspirations.
• Communicate with parents to discuss future plans for postsecondary education. Ensure that parents are aware of academic progress.
• Coordinate events, activities and communication for the purpose of affirming and rewarding those TORCH students who have achieved academic success and/or met their goals for the quarter.
• Coordinate schedules and supervise AmeriCorps staff assigned to serve the Middle School TORCH program.
• Recruit and maintain a pool of volunteer tutors to work with TORCH students one-on-one or in small groups.
• Communicate with teachers, guidance counselors and social workers in those cases where additional or different levels of academic support and intervention are necessary.
• Recruit TORCH students for the Summer BLAST and other summer programs.
• Arrange and lead college visits for groups of TORCH students.
Required qualities for the TORCH Coordinator include:
• Bachelor’s Degree required, ideally in the fields of counseling, youth development, social work, or a related area.
• Ability to engage and communicate effectively with TORCH students and their families.
• Ability to work collaboratively with TORCH team members, school district staff and other groups and organizations.
• Ability to supervise volunteer tutors and AmeriCorps staff.
• Ability to plan, implement and evaluate academic support interventions.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to understand and work with different cultures and backgrounds, including an understanding of issues of poverty.
• Ability to collect and analyze data to inform programming.
• Ability to speak before groups and make public presentations to promote the TORCH program.
Compensation: TORCH Coordinators are full-time employees of the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative (HCI). Salary will be based on experience relative to youth development work.
Application process: Send cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to Marnie Thompson, TORCH Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1400 Division St. South, Northfield, MN 55057. Application review will begin on April 23, 2016.