Summer Reads Job Opportunity
Do you like helping others? Would you like professional experience and training that looks good on your resume? Change a child’s life this summer by joining Summer Reads, an AmeriCorps VISTA program at Minnesota Literacy Council. Each year, approximately 75 VISTAs serve in pairs at one or two placement sites in summer schools, libraries and community organizations across Minnesota, with the goal of helping children in grades K-3 improve their literacy skills and fight the summer slide. Under the mentoring of an on-site supervisor, VISTAs serve in a variety of program environments. They may use the site's curriculum or design their own lesson plans; work with children one-on-one or in small or large groups; act as a classroom assistant or lead a program themselves - depending on the placement site.
- At least 18 years of age at the time of placement
- A U.S. Citizen, National or permanent resident, asylee, or DACA
- Must be able to clear a general background check, including a search of the Sex Offender Public Registry
- History of volunteerism, work with literacy or work with children
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to speak proficiently in English and read aloud to groups/individual children
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
Must be able to serve full-time (approximately 40 hours per week):
Twin Cities metro:June 11-August 5
Greater Minnesota locations:Tentative
Outreach Specialists: June 4-August 12
Deadlines to Apply: 1/3/18-5/11/18
How to Apply:
Visit our website for details on how to apply for the Summer Reads VISTA positions:http://www.mnliteracy.org/volunteers/vista/summer-reads-vista. VISTA members can serve at sites throughout Minnesota. In the Twin Cities metro area (including suburbs) VISTA candidates first apply to the Twin Cities Summer Reads program and then, once accepted into the program, are placed at 1-2 host sites in the metro area. Outside of the metro in greater Minnesota, VISTA candidates apply directly to the location(s) of their choice.
Applicants must create a My AmeriCorps account to apply. After you create your My AmeriCorps account, you must then apply to the Summer Reads position listing(s). Applications are accepted and interviews are granted on a rolling basis until filled. Priority consideration will be given to applications received before April 30.